Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Things that suck

1) Fox News. I don't know if this bit (look for video called "Crumbling Model?") is part of their news section or their editorial section, but it's definitely presented in "news" format. Actually, I'm not sure the majority of Fox's viewers even know the difference between news and editorializing. But the point is, the smug, mocking tone is incredible considering the limited treatment they gave the subject matter.

2) I-tunes. As my son's friends would say, "It sucks @$$" for the following reasons:

  • The interface is clumsy and non-intuitive.
  • The ituneshelper process sucks up CPU like an airliner sucking jet fuel.
  • The way it "manages" your music is laughable: it lacks the ability to detect two identical files, so if you have a song stored twice on your hard drive, you now have two copies in I-tunes.
  • If you move or rename a file, I-tunes can't find it any more.
  • OTOH if I-tunes is managing your music (which it will keep trying to do, even if you told it not to), for some reason it only (in my case) imported about 2/3 of my music, plus you have no control of what files are stored together, all you can do is establish playlists of titles.
  • If you had several named folders of music with files names Track1, Track2, etc, now all your Track1's are together, followed by all your Track2's, etc.
  • There's apparently no way to tell it which files of your large collection to put onto your small I-pod, except by sync-ing using selected playlists, but you can only use selected playlists if you automatically update when you plug in your I-pod -- you can't say "move these playlists to my I-pod just this once".
  • I found no way to simply view the contents of my I-pod in an explorer-type window and manipulate (eg, delete) files manually.
  • If you lose your hard drive and want to re-import your music from your I-pod, I-tunes won't do it for you; you have to do a special hack to just get the files back, but your song titles and playlists are gone.
And on and on. I could design a better program with one hand tied behind my back, my penis slammed in a door, and a fork stuck in my eye. I can't believe this product is the standard for personal music devices...

3) Televangelists asking for money. Just watched about 10 minutes of some slimeball exhorting his viewers to "plant a thousand dollar seed." Quick n dirty, if you plant a $1000 seed (ie, send in $1000), God will give you a harvest (ie, you will get a sh*tload of money) in the near future. It was one of the most disgusting examples of manipulation and mendacity I've ever seen. Quick example (out of dozens):
If you are moved to plant your $1000 seed right now, and you want to use your credit card (you know the sooner the seed enters the soil, the sooner the harvest comes), call this number. I know there's someone who needs their credit card debt wiped out -- if you use your faith, when you plant your seed with your credit card, God can wipe out your credit card debt...

If I saw that guy, I'd be tempted to punch him in the face.

7 Comments:

At Thu Jul 02, 04:11:00 AM PDT, Blogger Preben and Ellen said...

totally agree.

 
At Thu Jul 02, 01:02:00 PM PDT, Blogger Blogball said...

I think most Fox viewers are aware that those series of reports are agenda driven to give people another point of view of the nationalization of heath care. Sometimes I think its good to watch FOX. It kind of balances out the other networks.

http://www.saveyourrights.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/obama-pied-piper.jpg

 
At Fri Jul 03, 05:22:00 PM PDT, Blogger Extrem4 said...

I thought the whole itunes problem was me. Apple products are supposed to be intuitive right? Glad to hear I am not the only one that thinks it is evil. when you write your version with half your brain tied behind your back send me a copy. Are there any other programs that are workable as a substitute? I haven't really explored other options but have 3 Ipods so let me know.

 
At Sun Jul 05, 12:48:00 PM PDT, Blogger Alan said...

The Democrats have six "news" channels, so why do lefties get so upset that the Republicans have one channel?

If you like smug and mocking, check out Keith Olbermann over on MSNBC.

 
At Sun Jul 05, 04:12:00 PM PDT, Blogger Blogball said...

Couldn’t agree more Alan not to mention most of the newspapers.

I actually liked Olbermann's work when he was a sportscaster here in LA a while back.

Here is a hard hitting interview he has with Janeane Garofalo.
Talk aout Preaching To The Choir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IeRxVMpyDg

 
At Sun Jul 05, 11:13:00 PM PDT, Blogger jay are said...

Don't remember where I was, but I saw that same exact preacher on t.v. some time back giving the same exact spiel and it was absolutely nauseating. I couldn't believe that anyone with a brain cell could fall for such a scam. So sad that there are obviously people who believe this is something worthy of their belief (not to mention money).

Speaking of FOX, on the morning of July 4th, instead of showing our current president on the country's birthday they showed an old clip of Bush throwing out a game ball at some baseball game and called it the "most patriotic moment in sports" or some such thing. It was a head-scratcher.

 
At Mon Jul 06, 01:34:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

Thx for comments, all.
FWIW, I agree that Olbermann is exceedingly smug & mocking, to the point that it's annoying, but I thot that show was spozed to be a commentary/Op-Ed type show, like Glenn Beck or Rachel Maddow or Bill O'Reilly.
What I have a problem with is when the mockery & smugness comes into what's purported to be straight "news".
In a similar vein, I was disappointed when Linda Worthiemer cried as she announced the Bush over Gore election results on NPR; AFAIC, when you're doing news you're spozed to at least *try* to be somewhat objective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home