Sweet Savage Love
OK, this post will be nothing like as interesting as it sounds. Unless terrorists break in while I'm writing it, and I'm able to turn it into on-the-spot war journalism or something.
Anyway, Sweet Savage Love was a racy romance by Rosemary Rogers that all the girls in my Jr High read, and which my english teacher refused to let one of them give her oral book report on because it was too trashy. Which he was probably right about.
However, he was wrong about the use of exclamation points, which he contended were merely to add emphasis to whatever kind of sentence they were tagged onto, and which I contended also carried a connotation of "surprisingness", a position I still hold to, but he's been dead for 20 years so he (or I) can probably shut up about it.
My point started out to be (peripherally) about the Noble Savage concept, not book reports, but I got distracted thinking about Karynne Whatever-her-name-was and how Mr. Berg made her sit down after she started her book report, but it didn't hurt her popularity, since that was mostly based on how she looked in tight 70's-style jeans, one pair of which she had that zipped all the way around to the back, sort of like chaps I guess.
So anyway, a friend sent me this quote today:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Cicero
And all I really wanted to do was agree with the Cis-meister on this one, and further to say that if you believe that
- "traditional medicine" is bad for you, and what we need is more herbs & accupuncture & aromatherapy
- being self-taught by experience is alway better than book-learning (ie, "you don't learn nothin' in that there university that you cain't learn in the regular ole school of life")
- America is always on the side of good & right
- 9/11 was in inside job
- the Apache were a peace-loving people
- God looks out for America because we're especially big fans of His
- Sarah Palin would've made a good vice-president
- Pro-life people all hate women
- Gay people are just straight people looking for kicks
- we should withhold HPV vaccine to make girls more likely to be celibate
- art is not to be judged; all art is of equal value
- anything else that i disagree with