Wednesday, June 17, 2009

These are the conversations of our lives…

Bryan: Can you tell me, does everyone in the Engineering union automatically receive the Uniform Allowance benefit?

Client: The engineers, yes. That’s who gets the Uniform Allowance.

Bryan: Okay, right, good. So is it *everyone*? Do *all* the engineers get the allowance?

Client: Yes, they are all engineers. The Maintenance union used to get it too, but they bundled it into bonuses a couple of years ago. So it’s just the engineers.

Bryan: Uh-huh. That’s interesting. I was just wondering if the engineers *all* get it, or do some engineers *not* get it.

Client: Well, they all sign up for it. It’s a popular benefit.

Bryan: Yeah, I imagine so. What I should have said is “Is it ever possible for an engineer to *not* get it?”

Client: Well, all of our engineers get it, I don’t know why they wouldn’t. It’s like free money, whether you actually wear a uniform or not.

Bryan: Mmm, yeah. I would too. And is there any scenario where an engineer could ever *not* get it?

Client: Why wouldn’t they get it?

Bryan: I don’t know. But the software needs to know if they ever might not have it, and what to do if so.

Client: But they all DO have it.

Bryan: Yeah, but if it’s ever possible, I have to write the software to control for that.

Client: That seems weird, I can’t imagine why an engineer wouldn’t opt for the benefit.

Bryan: Right, me either. But it really doesn’t matter *why* as much as *if* it might happen. Do you know if it’s possible to process an engineer without the allowance?

Client: We never process them without it, because they all have it.

Bryan: Right, I understand. But do you know if the rules permit an engineer to be processed without the allowance?

Client: I have no idea…

Bryan: Okay, well, I’ll be back in a minute, after I plunge this pencil into my eye socket.

6 Comments:

At Sun Jun 21, 06:47:00 AM PDT, Blogger unca said...

Who's on first?

 
At Mon Jun 22, 07:20:00 PM PDT, Blogger Alan said...

What's on second.

 
At Mon Jun 22, 10:09:00 PM PDT, Blogger Extrem4 said...

Uhh........... if he were to not get the benefit would that be alright? Oh right yes. We are to nothing apart from making sure he does not get the benefit. I'm going with you.

 
At Wed Jun 24, 02:38:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

Exactly :-)

 
At Wed Jun 24, 10:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger Erik said...

ha

 
At Thu Jun 25, 06:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

does this conversation sound reminiscent? -- like me = client (sometimes...)??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home