Thursday, December 02, 2004

i am stupid

I left my laptop bag in one client's office, and she locked up and went home for the night while I was working with someone else, so I'm wandering around their building looking for the maintenance staff.

I tell my problem to a couple of women in the break room -- they promise to keep an eye out for the custodian. I keep wandering, until finally I see his cleaning cart outside the women's restroom.

I crack the door and call "Knock, knock!"

But instead of the custodian, I hear one of the women I had just talked to sing out "Uh oh, girls in here!"

Then since she apparently recognized my voice, she says "Hey there's a guy waiting for you at the elevator!"
Terrific, I think. She's found the custodian and sent him to find me. So I go wandering around the elevator area, taking it up/down/up for a few minutes, checking each floor.

Eventually it comes to me that I'm looking for myself. When I talked to her outside the restroom, she hadn't recognized my voice at all -- she had assumed I was the custodian, and was informing me that some bozo needed an office opened.

Feeling sheepish, I decide I might as well just leave and get my bag in the morning. I went back to the office I had been working in to retrieve my jacket and papers.

There I find my laptop bag under the desk, where I'd forgotten I put it earlier.

3 Comments:

At Fri Dec 03, 10:44:00 AM PST, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

"Eventually it comes to me that I'm looking for myself." You are making me laugh crazily and out loud over here in my office.

 
At Tue Dec 07, 10:03:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee hee.

 
At Wed Dec 08, 12:37:00 PM PST, Blogger emre said...

"Eventually it comes to me that I'm looking for myself. When I talked to her outside the restroom, she hadn't recognized my voice at all -- she had assumed I was the custodian, and was informing me that some bozo needed an office opened."

Very nice story telling. This paragraph made a flashback effect on me, like the movies that rewind and show what happened previously.I was like "what? wait!" and rolled back to the restroom conversation again :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home