Thursday, February 12, 2009

Inspiration to greatness

I have a friend who is very articulate. When we work together, he's the guy I turn to when I can't think of the right word. He told me today that he was inspired to learn to speak & write well at the age of about 6 yrs old, by the following sentence, which I think you'll agree is difficult to improve upon:

Colgate with MFP fluoride has been proven to be an effective decay-preventative dentifrice which can be of significant value when used in a conscientiously-applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care.

:-)

3 Comments:

At Thu Feb 12, 10:33:00 PM PST, Blogger dkgoodman said...

My 8th grade math book had this to say:

"It is easy to see that the antecedent and the consequent of the original are negated to get the inverse." (emphasis mine)

Yes, those were bits of my gray matter spattered on the walls.

 
At Sat Feb 14, 10:51:00 AM PST, Blogger Alan said...

We used Ipana.

"Bucky Beaver says brush your teeth."

 
At Tue Feb 17, 02:30:00 PM PST, Blogger unca said...

I remember this sentence from the 50's commericials. I think part of its appeal lay in the rather formal way it was phrased -- wow, those guys must really know their stuff. Also, the sentence has a nice rhythm to it that adds to its appeal-
-Colgate with MFP fluoride -
-has been proven to be -
-an effective decay-preventative dentifrice -
-which can be of significant value when used -
-in a conscientiously-applied program-
-of oral hygiene and regular professional care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home