Wednesday, September 22, 2004

dog nights

Dogsitting for a friend. Their dog doesn't get along with our cat, so the cat's locked in the garage with his food and his litter box.

Late at night, I'm working at my computer, the dog starts looking at me and whining, prancing, running to the door and whirling around, jumping up and down, etc.

I figure pooping is imminent. I take her out. It is raining. I am cold. She does NOTHING except wander around eating grass.

I take her back in, she starts up the prancing routine again. I figure she's just bored, and ignore her. She wanders away, begins to gag, and finally, barfs up the grass she ate onto the carpet (two separate piles). The way she was carrying on with the heaving, I expected at least a dead woodchuck, but anyway, it was just grass and spit and stomach stuff.

So I clean it up, and decide that if she (a) might poop, and (b) is puking, I need to put her in the garage for the night. This is a complicated Farmer-goose-fox-corn routine, involving the use of the downstairs bathroom as a holding area, transferring of various food dishes and animal beds, not letting the pets see/smell each other, synchronization of which pet is locked up where, retrieving whichever pet is wandering the house at any given time, etc.

Then right before I'm about to go to sleep, I realize the cat doesn't have access to his litter box. It's filthy on the bottom and I don't want to bring it into the house, so i did the old National-League-double-substitution deal again, and brought the dog back in.

In the morning I went to the garage to take the garbage can out to the street and found that the Poop Fairy had visited during the short time the dog was in the garage.

But not on the concrete, where it would be easy to clean up, of course. She had to do her thing on the new piece of remnant carpet we just put in the garage under the weight bench.

Then we were out of carpet cleaner. Also it made me late for work. Also there was a guy in a big van blocking the fast lane for about 10 minutes, with about 30 cars backed up behind as he played Blue Angels with the car next to him.

Now I'm just ranting. That will be all at this time.

3 Comments:

At Thu Sep 23, 09:13:00 AM PDT, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Thu Sep 23, 09:57:00 AM PDT, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Hey, I'm anya. Oh, I'm sorry about your night, altho it did make me laugh in my office. I notice that two of your posts, or 20% of them, relate to difficulties in your life due in part to cats. I wonder if this means that cats are evil and the root of all irritation and annoyance in the world? Hmmm.

 
At Sun Oct 20, 07:57:00 PM PDT, Blogger Meggan McKlellan said...

Dogs eat grass when they are sick. He may have been sick with nerves thinking how owner had abandoned him.
Dogs poop and puke on carpet it grass because no one likes the splash-back effect of concrete.
And finally, two cars doing the speed limit it under in the fast and middle Lane next to each other is called "an asshole road block.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home