Monday, February 04, 2008

Monday Miscellany

Check out the Harbin Ice Festival in China. We've been having a lot of snow in Seattle this winter, and I actually made most of these sculptures in my back yard already, but it's nice to see others doing their best also...

I liked this show about the power of suggestion and how much our preconceived ideas influence our perceptions...
Warning note: this is from Penn & Teller's HBO show Bull****! As such, it has lots of bad language. Or as as Mom would say: “too many swears...”

Am I the only one who thinks street cleaners are mostly a waste of time? They always leave a trail of water mixed with crumbs of street stuff behind them. I guess some places the streets are dirty enough that the street cleaner improves the situation, but I've always thought it looked like make-work...

It happened again recently: a comment suggesting that lesbian women are my destiny. I'm at a big company social event, and out of 50 women there, the one who told me I was "pretty damn cute" was the only openly gay woman I met. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining -- she was attractive and fun and smart, and everyone likes a compliment, but... What would be nifty is if straight women found me attractive in the same proportion that lesbian women apparently do. Not that I'm in the market right now or anything, but it's nice for the ego if nothing else. I have one gay woman friend who tells me the problem is that *I* am a lesbian myself. Except for one important qualification, I suppose she could be right...

And in case you felt like whining today about something bad that happened to you...

Interesting thing about movie-making...

And in case you need to laugh about something, here's A Bit of Fry & Laurie in a very Monty Python-like sketch...

May your week be happy.

4 Comments:

At Mon Feb 04, 05:23:00 PM PST, Blogger si said...

don't have time to see all of your links but it does seem to me like you're inviting the "oh, you're so attractive" comments again! (haven't we done this before??) :-) what about the "ladies" in reno? did you discover they were all lesbians?

oh, and have a happy one today, 2/4.

 
At Mon Feb 04, 07:51:00 PM PST, Blogger jay are said...

Don't know about all this stuff, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY ole man. Hope it was a decent one.

 
At Tue Feb 05, 01:33:00 PM PST, Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

Hey there Bryan...hope you had a fabulous day yesterday with lots of comments on your lovely personage... :) it would just making the delight of a day of birth the more delightful!! I enjoyed all of your links...especially the ice/snow festival one...and the monty python like one...thanks for the morning entertainment..a day after posting.. ;) p.s. by the way I did think about your day yesterday on the actual day as well!!!!!!!! not that you will believe it because I in no way contacted you to let you know!! lol...oh well..

 
At Thu Feb 07, 01:27:00 PM PST, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

That ice festival is REALLY cool. If you didn't go to the links, I highly recommend. Seriously amazing. There is the ice festival or whatever and a totally separate, very different, and equally awesome ice and snow world. It made me want to go there. I have a question, though...what do you think happens to all the colored lights inside the ice buildings? when the ice melts, do they get all the lights back and use them next year?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home