Monday, January 28, 2008

Reading level of my blog

Got this thing from psychomamma...

blog readability test


Okay, I have to say that this really stings. Elementary School, for pete’s sake. I checked half a dozen blogs that I visit regularly, and every single one of them came back as requiring a higher level of education to read. My 17-yr-old daughter’s blog comes back as College (post-graduate). Blogball’s came back as Genius (props to Blogball), in spite of having more poop jokes than mine.

You know how it is when you have to re-evaluate your idea of yourself? Okay, then.

But dangit, elementary school? Because that smarts so much, I’ll make what sounds like (or is) an insufferably arrogant confession: I’ve spent most of my life limiting what words I use in conversation to match the vocabulary of the people around me so they don’t think I’m trying to sound all smartypants.

I’m not freaking Stephen Hawking, but while the rest of my peers were having a social life, I read books. I know lots of words – words of all types and sizes, a surfeit of words, a damn plethora of words. I know the difference between affect and effect, between imply and infer. I even think grammar jokes are funny: The woman was shot, and the bullet’s in her yet... And I can even spell most of the words I use, except for sherriff sherrif sheriff.

But is that good enough for the b******s at the Blog Readability Test? No-o-o, it’s not. Well, I’ll tell you what, cabrones at the BRT: from now on I’m going to use words and sentence constructions that’ll confuse the snot out of you. Your stupid test will explode because I’m-a start usin sum a them seven-dollar words what I learnt back when I went to Yoo-niversity, then see how you like it. Hmph.

8 Comments:

At Mon Jan 28, 01:01:00 PM PST, Blogger Blogball said...

I just put in hawking.org.uk/home/hindex.html (Hawking’s Website) and it came back Jr. High School.

So so much for that. I’m thinking we might be reading this thing wrong.

My site is so confusing it would take a genius to understand it and translate it into human speech.
So actually Bryan is smarter than Hawking.

 
At Mon Jan 28, 06:05:00 PM PST, Blogger si said...

well, i can't take the quiz since i don't have a blog. i'm sure it would've been genius-level, like blogball! hah! :-) and i'm sure your elementary school level is high-elementary, vs say, first grade...

you might've had to dumb your blog down for us not-in-your-echelon smartypants realm. btw, does imply and infer resemble anyone in particular?

if you make good on your seven dollar word threat, i can officially call you lexiphanic.

ps. my (first) word verification was: waiil ;-)

 
At Tue Jan 29, 07:53:00 AM PST, Blogger Extrem4 said...

Just so you know they weren't even able to figure out my blog. It is so esoteric it came back with the response, "Unable to read the URL you entered". (Most likely until they go back and get some advanced degrees)

 
At Tue Jan 29, 08:40:00 AM PST, Blogger Blogball said...

extrem4 make sure you remove the
http:// when entering your site.

Your thyme in the kitchen came up as High school level

 
At Tue Jan 29, 10:37:00 AM PST, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

I think this thing might be garbage. I wonder how many blogs got Slate to say they were cool or smart or whatever they said? You should make everyone do a Slate cool-o-meter!

 
At Wed Jan 30, 08:46:00 AM PST, Blogger Mahsug said...

Ok...well, I too took the blog reading quiz..I was rated....you guessed it..Elementary school! Are you kidding me?? I'm so beyond elementary school.. but whatever.. I'm rubber, their glue!! :)

 
At Wed Jan 30, 09:45:00 PM PST, Blogger Extrem4 said...

Yeah Blogball I figured that out and so much for the PhD required to read my blog. Shoot I even have an in house consultant with a PhD in Composition and Rhetoric and mine rates the same as Bryan's how disheartening.

 
At Tue Feb 05, 02:08:00 PM PST, Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

I think you are noble to speak in a manner that can appeal to and be understood by the masses. What good is all that pontificating if all your admirers are at a loss as to what you are trying to convey?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home