Sunday, January 27, 2008

my siblings

I have two brothers and a sister; the order goes Bryan, Flurge, Succubus, and Cherubim.

Okay, I’m just kidding about those names. My sibs occasionally read this blog and they deserve better blog names than that. Maybe it should be Bryan, Zues, Aphrodite, and Mars. No, that also sucks. Let’s just call the other three Flip, Susie, and Rick. Flip and I are less than two yrs apart; there’s a gap of 6 years before Susie & Rick (also about 2 yrs apart).

For a over a decade I lived at home with a much younger girl-boy pair I helped take care of; Flip and I changed a fair number of diapers.

Now that I have my own children, I consistently call them the wrong names. In a way, it’s like Sam and David have slipped into the pre-formed slots (ie, younger girl-boy pair whom I love and care for) formerly occupied by Susie & Rick.

I call both pairs by the other pairs’ names, actually: I say Rick instead of David; sometimes I say “my sister” when I mean “my daughter”. I thought I’d get better at it as my kids developed more complete and distinct personalities of their own, but it hasn’t.

All I can conclude is that my self-absorption is so complete that I can’t even be bothered to distinguish among the various people who come in and out of my life. If I start just calling all the men I know “Bob” and the women “Jennifer”, you’ll understand, won’t you?

10 Comments:

At Sun Jan 27, 01:14:00 PM PST, Blogger si said...

interesting phenomenon to post a comment whilst you're posting -- it made me dizzy...

i can attest to your confusion (quick -- what are their birthdays??), of which i gave you a bad time -- i know, so unlike me.

guess it's okay that you call me "jennifer" as long as it's not the dreaded "-y" ending to my name.
:-)

 
At Sun Jan 27, 08:32:00 PM PST, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Ha. That makes me feel important. :-) I think it might be common, though....I wonder if anyone else does this?

Hmm, in the "just kidding" section, I notice I'm the only one with an evil name...purely coincidence, I'm sure...

 
At Sun Jan 27, 11:34:00 PM PST, Blogger jay aitch said...

I'm glad someone else does this 'name switching' thing. Sometimes I call my oldest grandson by my son's name. Thought it was just old age.

 
At Mon Jan 28, 05:31:00 AM PST, Blogger Amy said...

I have also started calling my son by my younger brother's name, granted they are both Rs. Unfortunately I have also been known to throw in the dog's name, which is M so oh well.

(and if memory serves I believe all of you spent some time known as "Daisy")

 
At Mon Jan 28, 12:11:00 PM PST, Blogger Rob said...

si, i know their bdays, so there.

anya, don't read too much into that -- it just had to do with your nickname...

JH, it might be age as well, who knows?

amy, i think it was mostly Rick, as he was the closest to Daisy in size and age. as i remember, he was not impressed to be called the dog's name...

 
At Tue Jan 29, 11:08:00 AM PST, Blogger Erik said...

"as i remember, he was not impressed to be called the dog's name..."

i'm willing to confirm that...

 
At Tue Jan 29, 06:07:00 PM PST, Blogger Alan said...

Sure Bob!

 
At Tue Feb 05, 02:16:00 PM PST, Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

I remember my Mom getting our names all confused with her many siblings...I thought geez..I am never going to be so "lame"...but alas that is not so...I also suffer from calling the wrong people by other peoples names..and like you these are people that I know the difference of and appreciate all those differences...I really don't think this means I am selfish..but I am not sure about you though *wink*

 
At Tue Feb 05, 02:17:00 PM PST, Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

I remember my Mom getting our names all confused with her many siblings...I thought geez..I am never going to be so "lame"...but alas that is not so...I also suffer from calling the wrong people by other peoples names..and like you these are people that I know the difference of and appreciate all those differences...I really don't think this means I am selfish..but I am not sure about you though *wink*

 
At Sun Sep 14, 02:01:00 AM PDT, Blogger Chus said...

This is what I think: Flurge

 

Post a Comment

<< Home