Friday, January 04, 2008

client whining

I can’t seem to get what I need from a particular client. I can’t explain the details without boring you, so I’ll write a parable-slash-metaphor thing that might explain it, and bore you that way.

Let’s say the client has agreed to provide Bryan with directions to the theater. They hand Bryan a list of streets. As Bryan reads over the list, the client begins to say things like:
  • We just put the first letter of each street name – do want them actually spelled out?
  • Do you need to know every single street, or just the main ones?
  • Does it matter what order we listed the streets in?
  • Did you need to know which way to turn on each street?
  • Should we specify how far to go on each segment?
  • Are you going all the way to the theatre, or just part of the way?
  • How about this street? Do you need to know the name of this street? Do you need it spelled out as well?
  • Which streets did you need again? The ones between here and the theater?

I kid you not, that’s exactly what it’s been like. And they don’t just ask once, they ask the same questions again the next day, when I ask for directions to the supermarket.

I want to shout: Yes, I need ALL the information you have. No, I didn’t stop needing it overnight. What is wrong with you people?

I shouldn’t whine. They’re all really nice people and I like them. But although we've been over it at least four times, I’ve clearly done a terrible job communicating what I need and why…

4 Comments:

At Mon Jan 07, 08:06:00 AM PST, Blogger amy and marilyn said...

Hi Bryan, I like these real life excerpts, although I'm sorry you have a frustrating client.

Too bad your good intentions were thwarted at every turn in the previous post, also.

Please keep posting these accounts, you make them interesting.

BTW, did Sam recover from her mysterious abdominal distress (a few months ago)?

 
At Mon Jan 07, 09:59:00 AM PST, Blogger unca said...

To make things easier for you, I've forwarded this blog post to the clients in question. Maybe that will help them get the point. No need to thank me.

 
At Tue Jan 08, 01:07:00 PM PST, Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

I guess you could sort of explain if they want you to get to the theater it is in their best interest to provide you with precise and complete information..
so put it back on them...what is it you want from me???? in like a nice way of course...:)

 
At Fri Jan 11, 12:05:00 AM PST, Blogger si said...

well i guess you're wishing all of your clients are like me, eh? 180 degrees opposite, especially when it comes to providing actual directions...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home