Wednesday, November 28, 2007

nothing that dramatic

Life continues.

Thanksgiving came and went, much like the waves upon the seashore, but with pie. Kids were with their mom this year, so I went to Texas, where it was every bit as cold and rainy as Seattle.

My mom & dad are on a cruise in Mexico, spending our inheritance, which I heartily approve of. People rant on about high "death taxes", but if there is one tax I can get behind, it's that one. People should be able to leave their kids a little something, sure, but AFAIC it should be up to each generation to make their own way in life. Knowing you have a big inheritance coming is a sure way to make people lazy. Of all the kinds of money I don't have a problem seeing escheat to the state, money that used to belong to people who are now dead is first on my list.

Camila turned 37. She looks about 27 and I look my age, which is too bad. A waitress once asked if she was my daughter. Oh well. I cry about that sometimes. (Not.) *

Which reminds me: you know how sometimes you'll see a guy in his 50's (or more) with a sweet young thang on his arm, and people (okay, mostly women) wrinkle up their noses and say sniffily "She's young enough to be his daughter!" ?
That's what I aspire to.

Planning a fambly get-together at Xmas. Hannah has generously let me have most of the kids' Xmas break this year, which I appreciate. She has been very flexible with our custody scheduling, which allows me to see the kids and still travel to make money consulting. Which nobody cares about, but now that I typed it and you read it, well, it's too late to remedy.

I've been making myself laugh a lot lately, but nobody else really thinks my witticisms are that. Perhaps the first step on the road to insanity; if so, it's kind of fun.

A person I don't even know but have a (very remote) connection to is dying this week. 39 yrs old, seemed in perfect health, worked out, felt great, diagnosed with stage 4 terminal cancer 3 months ago. Good reminder about how life is a crapshoot and we ought to be thankful for every day.

I have more work than I know what to do with lately; still trying to get caught up and maintain balance of work, time with kids, and a little time for myself (hockey game tonight!).

David turns 15 Monday. Sam is 17 going on 11 going on 30. She's weathering the hard teenage years pretty well, actually. I get pretty frustrated with her sometimes, but then she turns around and does something really sweet or demonstrates some new level of maturity that impresses me. They're my kids and I love them.

That will be all at this time. Back to your regularly-scheduled (and less boring) life.

*And it's not why I'm with Camila, anyway -- it's not irrelevant, but it's not even in the top 10.
As she says, La belleza se acaba -- Beauty doesn't last. There better be something more going on, or you're doomed.

3 Comments:

At Sat Dec 01, 08:48:00 PM PST, Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

Having the younger more beautiful woman on your arm is something that I witness frequently at the hospital with doctors ditching their older wiser wives..and moving on to a girl 20 or more years younger than them...funny how some of them I have seen cycle through that choice several times..those young wives don't last long...just long enough to get a fair amount of alimony or child support then they move on to the a cuter younger man that they are truely attracted to...kind of sad really...especially when you see them do it like three times...
alas...they must feel pretty special when it is all going good though....wonder where all the self esteem is in this whole scenario??? can you answer that one??

 
At Mon Dec 03, 09:42:00 AM PST, Blogger Rob said...

you have a good point, sooze.
and i don't really aspire to that -- just thot it would be
a) funny to say, and
b) fun to experience for a little while.
the fact is it might be hard to find something to talk about with someone much much younger. but then, how much talking do you really need to do? ;-)

 
At Mon Dec 03, 03:44:00 PM PST, Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

I kind of knew what you meant Bryan....and I even understand it as a phase one might go through...but to keep repeating the same event...it just seems like INSANITY!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home