Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Poe-pour-ee

The proper way to show people pictures on your computer is to cue them up, then give control of the "next" button to the person looking. If you had a pile of printed photos to show, you would hand them to the person, not make them look over your shoulder as you shuffle through...

I rented a Hyundai Azera a couple weeks ago. Not since the first time I drove a Camry have I been this impressed with a new (to me) car. Handled nice, controls were easy, I think it looks pretty nice for a sedan. For under $30K, and with Hyundai's vaunted warranty, I would buy this car.

Standing at the checkout counter in Marshall's last week, I say to the clerk "You should see how good I look in this jacket. You'd be stunned."
She says nothing. Her expression doesn't even flicker. Into the sound of crickets chirping, I say "Or not..."
Every time I think of it, it makes me smile.

I saw a billboard recently advertising DWI defense. It said:
DWI defense institute. Drink. Drive. Go to jail. Another gov't lie.
I'm all for innocent-until-proven-guilty, and for people getting the defense they deserve, but this seemed a little over the top to me.

My parents have been spending several months a year in Ukraine since about 2002. One thing about Ukraine (and Russia) is that they make do with fewer first names than we do*. Every other man is named Boris, Victor, or Vasyl; all women are named either Svetlana, Jalya, or Lyuda. I'm exaggerating of course, but I noticed my parents identify people based on what they do more than using their patronymic (eg, Ivanovich) or actual last name. So they talk about "Svetlana English Teacher" and "Vasyl Student" or "Victor Mechanic", etc.
Which if you think about it is exactly how a huge percentage of last names were formed in English: John Farmer, John Carter, John Wright, John Smith, John Webmaster, John Database Administrator, etc.
I may not be totally right about those last two, but you get the idea.

*I've heard this explained as resulting from the communist discouragement of Individualism (ie, who do you think you are, with a special name that makes you stand out?)...

3 Comments:

At Wed Jul 25, 04:18:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

totally agree with the picture-thing.

wish i was at the checkout with you -- it always makes me laugh when people don't "get" you. sometimes makes me laugh more than you do yourself! :)

how about "sally accountant"? :)

 
At Thu Jul 26, 10:25:00 PM PDT, Blogger Extrem4 said...

My question is why are you jacket shopping in July? It has been so blasted hot I wouldn't take the most stunning jacket if they were handing them out for free....and I have a whole closet full of them....some of which I might have bought in July but most likley not.

 
At Fri Jul 27, 01:01:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

sorry, "jacket" = sport coat.

i ended up in San Jose without dress clothes for a business trip to L.A., so I bought some dress shirts, slacks, and a sport coat (which I needed anyway) at Marshall's...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home