Wednesday, July 25, 2007

One other thing...

Samantha has been feeling sick off and on for almost three months.
She ate some canned soup that had been around forever, and the next day felt really sick to her stomach for several days. Not sure if it's related.

But since then, she's been feeling sick to her stomach every couple weeks or so. Hannah took her to the doc, and he gave her something for her symptoms and told her it probably wasn't what she ate...

I'm getting worried tho. I overheard a conversation recently that went like this:

Woman #1: How's your husband doing?
Woman #2: He was sick for a while -- felt lousy for weeks. Then I took him in and they tested him for [some bacterial-sounding thing I don't remember] and he had it. The doc gave him [some treatment] and it put him right in a couple of days.

So my point is that I wonder if anyone who reads this blog has any ideas about intestinal infections that are hard to kick and/or require specific treatment. Any ideas appreciated.

PS. There's also the teenage factor...
Dad: I'm sorry you don't feel good, honey. Are you eating healthy and getting enough sleep?
Sam (dismissively): That won't help...

PPS. Yes, I already thought of that possibility, too.

10 Comments:

At Wed Jul 25, 03:49:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

was there blood work done? there are a couple of specific problems that people at work have had but since i work with *old* folks :), i'm thinking these wouldn't apply to a teenager (gall bladder/ibs). and, some intestinal flare-ups (bacterial/viral) can last for months. probably not much help -- sorry.

 
At Wed Jul 25, 05:38:00 PM PDT, Blogger unca said...

I wish I could be of more help. Has she tried leaving things out of her diet (milk?) to see if it's a food allergy? This is one of those things that sounds like it could be caused by a myriad of things. I agree about the blood work.

 
At Wed Jul 25, 11:13:00 PM PDT, Blogger jay aitch said...

Don't want to scare you, but she did look terribly pale last Saturday p.m. She definitely looked bad off. Didn't she even have a fever earlier in the day? Believe Jay Are told me that. Blood work is DEFINITELY in order!!

 
At Thu Jul 26, 07:47:00 AM PDT, Blogger amy and marilyn said...

One of the "hard to kick" intestinal infections is called C-diff. It is treatable, but is quite a process. Hope you get some answers and Sam gets better. Good luck!

 
At Thu Jul 26, 11:14:00 AM PDT, Blogger Blogball said...

Hope she feels better soon. Please keep us posted on this Bryan

 
At Thu Jul 26, 03:30:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

Has she had her appendix out?

When I was that age, I had a stomach ache for a couple of weeks, but was able to push through for a while. Then all of a sudden, I felt AWFUL - to the point of my Mom's friend (Dr.) came over to check on me, and I walked out with my pants around my ankles because I just didn't care, I felt so bad!

It ended up being my appendix.

 
At Thu Jul 26, 07:31:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

thot of this and was going to post earlier but had to actually go back to work!! (the nerve!) -- ulcers?

 
At Fri Jul 27, 03:03:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

Thx for the advice and concern.
Hannah says she did get bloodwork done when she took her the first time.
I might start recommending the food-allergy-test approach. I'll keep C-diff, gallbladder, appenicitis, etc in mind as well.
Thx.

 
At Fri Jul 27, 04:44:00 PM PDT, Blogger Preben and Ellen said...

Not sure if this is it. But I was feeling bad for about 3 years, (always dizzy, nauseous, just feeling bad and sick to my stomach a lot). After so much complaining, my family just thought I was a hypochondriac. So then I thought, maybe I am. So despite my continued bad feelings, I dropped it and didn't bring it up. Turns out 3 years later, I'm still feeling bad. Long story short, I told my mom again, and said I really thought something was wrong with me. I cut everything out of my diet, and started from scratch. We found out it was that I was chewing gum, A LOT, which contains aspartame (artificial sweetener which is in practically everything “light” or “sugar free” and in all the diet drinks). ASPRATAME affects a ton of people, and continue to blame these bad feelings on other problems. I quit the gum and have been feeling great ever since! Not sure if she is eating aspartame, but just wanted to throw that out there in case she is.

 
At Tue Jul 31, 07:22:00 AM PDT, Blogger faith said...

I was going to tell the Enger story as I know all about that -- another thought is Giardia, a parasite found in the stool usually diarrhea present, but not always. Even with testing it is sometimes missed, treatment is easy, some docs will even treat "just in case" Keep us posted .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home