Saturday, April 14, 2007

some things

By the time we reach adulthood, most of us figure out that when you're in a public place, you should conduct your business -- correcting children, fighting with spouse, telling your friend about last night's party -- quietly.
But not everyone knows this. I think some people think they're on TV, and that we have as great an interest in their lives as they do.
Others think that if they state their side of an argument loudly, people will listen to the details and think "Hmm... sounds like that person is right, and the other person is wrong." When what we really think is "Those people are morons for fighting in public. Especially the loud one."

This week in the airport sundries store, a woman was giving loud directions to her kids -- clearly performing as she taught them all about how the airport worked, etc.
She finished up by saying, "Now, Johnny, you need to look after your sister."
To which Johnny replied under his breath, "Yeah, that's what *she* said..."
I have no idea what he meant -- and I don't think he did, either -- but it made me laugh anyway.

Then the cashier held up my well-worn Amex card, which was refusing to swipe correctly, and said, bold as you please, "How do you expect this card to work if the stripe looks like this?"
Which was so far from the customer-is-always-right attitude I'm used to that it made me laugh again.

So anyway, that's two of the times I laughed recently. Neither translates effectively to a blog, to a conversation, or to any other place besides a person's own memory. So sue me, I'm sorry -- it's been a low-inspiration week...

2 Comments:

At Sat Apr 14, 04:07:00 PM PDT, Blogger amy and marilyn said...

sounds like you're over the PMS, good to hear you feel like laughing

 
At Sun Apr 15, 07:19:00 AM PDT, Blogger Alan said...

The post was fine. I'm having a low-inspiration month.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home