Saturday, March 31, 2007

sometimes i like my job

Conference this wk in Monterey -- I try to attend this one at least once a year to keep in touch with the people who form the bulk of my clientele.
My presentation went fine, met some new people, saw old friends, ate really well.
Anyway, some pics...



The hotel was very nice -- beachfront, good food, beautiful rooms.

But I dislike the fact that higher-end hotels like this one -- where the discounted rate is $185/night -- stick you for *everything* ($9/day for internet, even in the business center; $.38/pg for copies/printouts; $12/day for workout room; $18/day for parking; etc).

Mid-range hotels (Crowne Plaza, most Hilton properties, etc) typically provide most of that for free.

I guess the more expensive places do it because their clientele can afford it, but to me it feels like gouging.





There were animals.




Blew off the last couple of hours of the conference and David and I went to Carmel-by-the-Sea. I chose this pic because it makes my shoulders appear wider than my hips...





I thought this was interesting; the honey bucket and the stuff for temporary power hookup are a single unit. I wonder if this is just an invention of this construction company, or if that's a common way to do it. Kinda makes sense, since most construction jobs will need both...







My eldest nephew -- prom night, and at his first rollerhockey game of this season. We were late, so he didn't get on the ice (floor) until midway thru the first period, but he still scored a hat trick. I like to pretend it's his uncle's influence that drives his success... ;-)

4 Comments:

At Sun Apr 01, 08:36:00 PM PDT, Blogger prrrof said...

Re: the hotel price gouging--I agree, it's completely a ripoff that expensive hotels charge for wifi and others don't. I was just at an academic conference (of English types, no less, so no one's rich) at a $300/night Hilton in NYC. Wifi: $10/day.

I stayed down the road, and yes, I know it's NYC. But still. If the local coffee shop can afford to support free wifi, how in the world can Schmancy Hotel not??

 
At Sun Apr 01, 10:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger jay aitch said...

The power panel sits right on the porta potty and has been around for many years. Like husband says that is so if the hired men spend a lot of time in there, they get a shock in the seat! : )

 
At Thu Apr 05, 07:57:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

well, nice pics but it's a good thing i know what you photographing in the top 3 since they're a teense dark.

totally agree with the "more expensive the hotel, the more they charge for the extras" philosophy. when we were in san antonio last year, we stayed at a less expensive hotel, which had free internet, for the first couple of days and then when we moved to the more expensive one, had to pay at least $10/day for a connection... and how about $6 for a bottle of water (with no other opportunities to get water/sodas except the longs drugstore 2 blocks over)??

and btw, you should stand that way/wear that t-shirt all the time for the broad-shouldered look. :)

 
At Sat Apr 07, 01:47:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

forgot to mention that the non-conference room rate went to $230/night -- makes the extra costs more special...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home