Sunday, August 20, 2006

let me just say this

I'm impressed with a lot of the skateboarding world. Partly because it's got a bad reputation with oldsters, so my expectations were low, and partly because there really are some good people in it.
I've watched a fair amt of skating at a number of parks since my son started doing it. And it's normal to see older skaters looking out for the younger ones, teaching, encouraging, etc. There hasn't been a lot of posturing, or attitude, or bullying, or mockery.
There are exceptions, of course, and just like anywhere young people hang out there are going to be a few rough kids around. But in general, it's been a very positive experience.

I'll also say this:
Bumper stickers that say "Skateboarding is not a crime" are stupid. I get the skaters' point -- people often treat them like criminals just because they're on a board. But on the other hand, no one is actually saying skateboarding is a crime -- what they're usually saying is:
- sorry, you can't skate on my property because of liability issues;
- some of your skateboarding friends have messed things up for you by wrecking park benches, etc with their tricks; and
- quit skating so fast around people who are trying to walk because we don't want to catch a skate in the ankle or have you knock us down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home