Sunday, July 30, 2006

keeping abreast

This post got me thinking the world needed more of my wisdom.

First of all, let me say that I fully support breastfeeding moms. I think breastfeeding is natural, right, and good. I think it needn't be done in private. I think people who get their knickers in a twist about public breastfeeding need more to worry about.

I also think that if you find breasts sexy, you'll still find them sexy when they're flashed by a breastfeeding mom. I'm not saying moms need to do something about that, I'm just saying that as a 14-yr-old boy, I did find a glimpse of a nipple on the way to baby's mouth titillating. (Get it? Titillating? Ghhhk.)

I'm not a guy for whom breasts are the One Meaningful Thing in life. I think they're wonderful and inspiring and I wholly approve of them, but they're just one item (well, two) among several about which one might wax enthusiastic. That said (and I have no idea why), I will finally get to the point of this post, which is that one must acknowledge their sexual aspects. One time a co-worker (you know who you are) posed the rhetorical question "What's the big deal about breasts, anyway? Why do men find something sexual about them?"

They answer is, because they are two things:
1) A female secondary sex characteristic. They represent sexual maturity. They say "Woman, not girl."
2) An erogenous zone.

That's why. You're welcome.

11 Comments:

At Sun Jul 30, 10:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Thanks for this post and your comment... I guess it's one of those men and women are different things... I can't imagine how a breastfeeding has an ounce of sex appeal, perhaps because it is so far from sexy for the breastfeeder (breastfeedee? Hmm... the mom I mean.) Glad for the male support of this amazing biological phenomenon.

 
At Sun Jul 30, 10:26:00 PM PDT, Blogger heatherfeather said...

you forgot the most common reason i've heard as to what the appeal of breasts is:

they're round.

i'm a big proponent of breastfeeding. so nurse away, moms!

 
At Sun Jul 30, 10:33:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They signify 'food.' The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

 
At Mon Jul 31, 12:41:00 AM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

That's the long way...
;-)

 
At Tue Aug 01, 08:22:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

hmmm. How do I say this? Regarding both posts: If you really think that the only breasts your husband cares about are yours, you are mistaken. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is! If you think that your son isn't interested in breasts, and won't seek them out on his own...again, quite mistaken. Breasts are just appealing to men, whether we are thinking they are or not ... I certainly didn't feel sexy breastfeeding, but I'm not a guy!!! I think it's fine to breastfeed in public, and I think it's fine for men to find that sexy. And if it makes all you crazy other women out there insane, think about improving your own self image, as an alternative to running nutty media campaigns trying to ban breastfeeding ads. Yeesh.

 
At Tue Aug 01, 11:03:00 AM PDT, Blogger Blogball said...

Lisa, I agree with your comment.

I was also thinking:

I have heard this analogy to describe a tie game in sports but I think it works here as well.

Getting a good look at a woman breastfeeding one might say it’s kind of like kissing your sister. I think it’s just a little more” titillating” than that so I will say it’s like kissing your cousin. If the woman is really sexy looking it would be kind of like kissing your 2nd cousin 1 generation removed.

If you see your girlfriend breastfeeding her baby and then you found out the baby is not yours it would kind of be like kissing your relationship goodbye.

 
At Tue Aug 01, 06:02:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Titilating post, really.
I don't know if you read my blog way back when, so here is a link to MORE THAN YOU COULD EVER WANT TO KNOW ABOUT LOIS'S MILKERIFFIC BOOBIES.

 
At Tue Aug 01, 09:52:00 PM PDT, Blogger CC said...

Does this mean I'm more likely to get a date sometime in the near future?

 
At Wed Aug 02, 01:03:00 PM PDT, Blogger Erik said...

blogball, that ruled!

 
At Thu Aug 03, 07:02:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

blogball: you're too much!

 
At Fri Aug 04, 09:36:00 AM PDT, Blogger jay are said...

tit-illating indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home