Friday, August 18, 2006

guess it's too late now

Somerset Maugham said "You can't go home again." Or maybe it was John Updike. Or possibly Dorothy.

But my point is that that has almost nothing to do with the topic of this post, which is that I have regrettably chosen to be exactly myself on this blog. The result is that it's now too late to use another voice in my writing here.

Same in relationships, I think. If we start off fake, the other person can slowly get down to learning the real us. But if we start off genuine, you can't try to be something else later -- somehow you can't pull it off.

Erik and Esther both present personae that are extremely funny*. But I think if I tried that now, besides being not as good at it, it would ring false.

So I (and you) are stuck with the real thing. 99.44% pure, and not nearly as interesting as other people I could be. Sorry about that.


*Erik comes off as inept with women, shallow, self-centered, clueless. But IRL he's had at least one girlfriend.

7 Comments:

At Sat Aug 19, 07:09:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

Well I for one, like you. So there.

 
At Sat Aug 19, 11:55:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i for two (would have said one but lisa beat me to it), wouldn't want you to post any differently. i have told you how your posts can touch a chord with me (and i'm sure many others).

it would be nice to actually have posts, tho. :)

and as far as relationships, you're right, you can't go back now. again, i wouldn't like you as much if you weren't so real.

 
At Sat Aug 19, 01:30:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, it's not that you're NOT funny (at times)... ;-)

 
At Sat Aug 19, 03:19:00 PM PDT, Blogger unca said...

You mean, this is as good as it's going to get? I won't pretend not to be pretty disappointed. Well, if you've gotta be you, I guess there's not much the rest of us can do about it. : )

 
At Sun Aug 20, 12:57:00 AM PDT, Blogger Erik said...

i've had at least one, if not more. i can't even count them all! here, let me try to count all my girlfriends with the world's most powerful computer...nope, there's too many. i remember dianna in particular, she was a real firecracker. physically abusive, but really a sweet girl.

about this post, though. never change. you're not even that bad!
and apparently, i'm not even that dumb! this is a good day.

 
At Sun Aug 20, 02:53:00 AM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

to be completely accurate, i never really said you weren't that dumb...

 
At Sun Aug 20, 01:37:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

Erik, I might have read this wrong, but I think Bryan just said you weren't really that funny in real life.

I had a whole algebra equation written out to prove this, but then I decided it wasn't that funny (in real life)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home