Sunday, January 08, 2006

Hook 'em, Horns!

Note: Do not confuse this blog entry with one that is interesting.

What I did in Austin, TX last week:

Saw Ramon Ayala in concert. Well, it was at a club, but it had a stage and stuff. And about a thousand Latino Austinites (and me) listening. No one was crushed to death by the crowd, but I'm not sure why that didn't happen.

In a blatant attempt to curry favor with my client, I bought a Longhorns T-shirt which I wore to work Wednesday. I cannot believe how huge football is in Texas -- the entire worksite was full of people wearing burnt orange. Leaving work I saw one woman all dolled up and wearing a black formal dress... with the longhorns symbol in fake diamonds on the chest.

Wednesday I got off work about 6:55pm and walked down Sixth Street where I met a guy named Ricky from New Orleans who was taking polaroids of people for five bucks a pop. We hung out and watched the first half of the game together.

At halftime I went back to my hotel room and fell asleep, and didn't wake up until the 4th quarter. But at least I got to see Vince Young scamper into the endzone to win the game. I tried to order food from PF Chang's across the street from my hotel, but the guy informed me they'd closed the restaurant early because with the game on they'd been empty for hours.

The next day the entire city was smiling -- it was like I imagine VJ-day was like, or something -- incredible. I saw one guy wearing a USC Trojans T-shirt which impressed me by its sheer gutsiness. That guy clanks when he walks, man.

I also ate a LOT of good food, and basked in the warm sunshine. Most of the time it was in the 70's, with clear blue skies. After two weeks of chilly Seattle rain, it was really nice.

The End.

(See, I told you.)

4 Comments:

At Mon Jan 09, 04:33:00 AM PST, Blogger heatherfeather said...

bryan, why does he clank when he walks? *wide-eyed innocence*

*tfooxkah*

 
At Mon Jan 09, 11:30:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

re the “clanker” –- he could probably handle driving a big truck! :-)

also, not much for jumping on bank wagons, are you?

 
At Mon Jan 09, 11:32:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"band wagons", not "bank wagons!"

 
At Mon Jan 09, 11:17:00 PM PST, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

I was at a UT home game when they retired Ricky Williams' number so there. I too was amazed at how huge football is in Texas. Have you noticed the burnt orange *fire hydrants* in Austin??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home