Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Happy Holidays

Tomorrow the kids & I are scheduled to fly to CA for Xmas. Cost me a boatload of airmiles, but I feel like it's well spent. Hannah's too busy with school, etc to come, so it's just me and the bandar log*.

I'll drop them for a couple of days with Hannah's folks (who are treating me nicely in spite of all I've done to ruin their daughter's life), then pick them up again to spend a couple of days with my folks & sibs.

Having the whole fam together will be great, and chaotic, but then that's what I'm used to. In my family growing up, if only one person was talking at a time that meant we weren't using time efficiently...

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Xmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa/Ramadan/Winter Solstice Celebration/Whatever. Plus a Happy New Year, which AFAIK is religion neutral.


* points to anyone who can ID the reference...

5 Comments:

At Wed Dec 21, 02:19:00 PM PST, Blogger unca said...

Well, I had to look it up so I don't get credit. I'll leave that to others.
By the way, you forgot Happy Festivus (festivus for the rest of us). I'm sorry to say I've almost memorized that episode of Seinfeld.

 
At Wed Dec 21, 03:36:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy holidays, etc to you & your family too.

re points: what kind of points? same "payoff" as your other points that you hand out? which is...?

 
At Wed Dec 21, 09:31:00 PM PST, Blogger jay are said...

I have a lot of banderlogs in my house, which I think may be a bunch of wild monkeys, as noted in the Jungle Book. But there could be a prior origin of which I'm unaware, which is always the possibility.

 
At Thu Dec 22, 09:14:00 AM PST, Blogger heatherfeather said...

okay, so i don't want to talk about winning "bryan points." not that i'm opposed to them, but i'm here to talk about something else.

my sister, mom, and i are champion talkers. in fact, by the time i was 8 i had mastered the "participating in 3 simultaneous conversations" trick, and everything. my dad, who was born in a foreign country, speaking a different language never quite mastered that. in fact he had been known to cover his ears with his hands and cry, "YOU ARE HURTING MY EARS AND MY BRAIN CAN'T KEEP UP WITH YOU!"

however, i have very poor speaking habits, as i frequently run out of breath before i get to the end of a sentence, or even a comma. i get rather annoyed by that. one time when she was about 22 my sister went to a speech pathologist because she was having throat problems and was put on total voice rest for 2 months (TWO MONTHS WITHOUT TALKING?!), and she needed to see a speech path when she was allowed to talk again to make sure she took it easy enough on her cords.

the speech path listened to her talk for a while (we have the same voice, the same pitch, the same timbre, the same rate of speech, and the same breathing problems). the SLP stopped her eventually and asked about her family. and eventually told her the reason we run out of breath is that we come from "an Air-Time Crisis Family." which basically means if we stop talking even to breathe, we'll lose the floor and so we don't breathe until we pass out in the middle of a sentence.

 
At Thu Dec 22, 12:30:00 PM PST, Blogger Kylee said...

good luck and have fun on the trip...if the airports/airlines/schedules are anything like they were yesterday...everything is late so be prepared.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home