Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Area Man Is Not Yelling At You, He's Just Saying...

For the record, and in response to reader queries: I'm not angry lately. I just happened to write a couple posts in a row about the subject of anger. Jeez, people, get a life!

Okay, sorry, scratch that. I was a bit on edge just now* but really, I'm not an angry person.

I'm not saying I'm never angry -- I am sometimes -- I think nearly all of us are once in a while.

But in spite of the fact that I'm currently going through a very high-stress time, and that many people in my position are quite angry and don't always recognize it, I really don't go around ready to pop an aneurysm or yell at somebody, or even silently fuming or frustrated or whatever. I like my life, believe it or not -- I love being alive, I have a million things to be grateful for, not least of which are two great kids and supportive family and friends. So in case you cared, relax -- tomorrow I'll post something funny, like how angry my daughter made me last night as I tried to help her with her math homework... ;-)



*10 points** to whoever can name the source of that quote

**Redeemable for airmiles or hotel stays. Also: in theory one might make a case that in the sentence above it should be "whomever", but many respected*** grammarians understand that that construction is impossibly unwieldy and accept the idea that "whoever can name that quote", while being the object of the sentence, should retain the form it would ordinarily take (ie, that it's better to retain the integrity of the compound "whoever" construction than shoehorn in the indirect object form "whomever" just to make ourselves feel better, because that makes it sound stupid.)

***They may be respected, but not by me, since I am a grammar apostate**** and now believe we have far too many pointless grammar rules and people who get all uptight about it are just fulfilling some inner need for order and structure in their lives.

****Betcha thought I didn't know that word, dincha?

8 Comments:

At Tue Jan 31, 10:06:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*MP ("...mind you, this is a real beaut... none of your blood caked on the walls and flesh flying out the window incommoding the passersby with this one...")

 
At Tue Jan 31, 12:10:00 PM PST, Blogger unca said...

I think the quote about being on edge is from 2001 A Space Odyssey. It rings a bell from there. If I'm right, please know that I didn't google this and plucked it out of my own brain. If I'm wrong, well, tough.

 
At Tue Jan 31, 01:56:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think cal's correct -- monty python.

it seems to me that there should be a grammatical rule as to the number of asterisks/references *within* asterisks/references...

and maybe "back off" post was not about certain readers but i'd say this one is. forget that possibly readers may have been concerned; next time they should ignore you and "get a life!" :)

kccski -- your other client's initials at this site w/russian suffix

 
At Wed Feb 01, 11:47:00 PM PST, Blogger Rob said...

cal: right
unca: wrong, unfortunately
si: not *about* anybody, but it is correct to say it was prompted by comments from concerned citizens; i just ran with it. in my heart, i know i'm funny*...


*quote?

 
At Thu Feb 02, 01:02:00 AM PST, Blogger jay are said...

planes, trains and automobiles?

 
At Thu Feb 02, 12:00:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep telling yourself that... :)

*good morning, vietnam?

 
At Fri Feb 03, 12:10:00 AM PST, Blogger Rob said...

Good Morning Viet Nam! Si rocks.

 
At Fri Feb 03, 08:35:00 AM PST, Blogger unca said...

Yes. Now that I recall, the quote from "2001..." was something along the lines of, "I know I haven't been quite myself lately, Dave." (as spoken by HAL)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home