Tuesday, January 15, 2008

conversation

Sam: I need a job!

Bryan: Yes, you do. How's the search going?

Sam: The outlet stores only hire 18 and over.

Bryan: All of them?

Sam: I checked around, and they all said 18.

Bryan (ignores the fact that there are 40 stores, and she probably checked two): Well, restaurants regularly hire under 18.

Sam: No, they don't.

Bryan: Yes, they do. Also grocery stores. Have you applied at both QFC and Safeway?

Sam: Yes, they never called me back.

Bryan: Well, we'll need to follow up then.

Sam (scornfully): That's not how it works. If they don't call you, you don't get the job. People don't hire you just because you call them back!


So, do *your* teenagers argue with you about things of which they know absolutely nothing?

Why is it that my daughter would give more weight to something she read on a gum wrapper than to something I tell her?

Why do our kids look at the person who has cared for them their entire lives, knows them intimately, loves them more than anyone else on the planet, and would die to save their life, and assume that this person is trying to thwart their progress and mislead them with false information?

6 Comments:

At Tue Jan 15, 11:41:00 PM PST, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Maybe they have trouble trusting someone who said a fairy would come in the night and leave money under their pillow... who said "this hurts me more than it hurts you"... someone who thinks the Beatles is the best band ever. :)

Or maybe it's just nature's way of breaking the bonds so the young can leave the nest.

 
At Wed Jan 16, 12:05:00 AM PST, Blogger jay are said...

I don't know anything about that kind of conversation. Nope. How weird that a teenager would do that. Isn't it so rewarding and uplifting!? :) I'm always amazed at how we parents function at all considering how ignorant and ridiculous we are.

 
At Wed Jan 16, 09:21:00 AM PST, Blogger unca said...

So, do *your* teenagers argue with you about things of which they know absolutely nothing?

Does the pope poop in the woods?

 
At Wed Jan 16, 05:43:00 PM PST, Blogger Alan said...

Technically they're twenty-somethings, but yeah, they still do.

Are bears Catholic?

 
At Wed Jan 16, 07:41:00 PM PST, Blogger bfoxy37 said...

I agree with dkgoodman. I know that I was a teenager who regularly argued about things I knew little about and thought my parents knew even less about. I'd say that while frustrating it's pretty "normal" behavior. But then again, I'm not always normal.

 
At Tue Jan 22, 06:29:00 PM PST, Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

Have you ever pulled her leg?? Acted like you knew for sure about something that you were really just guessing about...or pulling it out of your bottom so to speak??
I seem to remember a couple guys who when still living at home thought that some nice person would just walk up to their front door and offer them a job...why go look?? lol....do you recall??? anyone like that????? lol Personally though I was a very smart mouthed teenager...my parents got way way smarter when I was about 20 or so...I have to admit...I am not sure why they were so stupid there for a few years!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home