Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Conversation with Sam and cetera

Bryan (points with toe to ice cube on the floor): We'll need to pick up that one...

Sam: Okay. (Picks up ice cube.) You know, if you just kick them under the counter, they melt and then evaporate.

Bryan: Well, that's not what we want to do.

Sam: It's just that you're old and conservative and set in your ways. You should be more open to new experiences and ideas.

*****

You may wish to know how my last hockey game went. Or perhaps not, but I'm telling you anyway:
I got called for hooking in the first period, which was baloney. Interference, maybe, but not hooking. I indicated to the official that I did not feel guilty of the infraction as called. He was unmoved.
Then the ref made (what appeared to be a deliberate) non-call when I got taken out in their end. That happens sometimes when you whine too much -- all of a sudden you can't get a call from the men in the stripes -- it's actually a fairly effective refereeing practice...
So to the point: we're tied 2-2 in the last period. I get knocked down in the slot* just as my teammate passes the puck into the middle. From my knees I snap a desperation shot at the goal, which finds its way thru traffic and into the back of the net for the game-winner with 6 seconds on the clock.
Great was our jubilation. And there was much rejoicing. Also, everybody cheered.
With the win, we locked up 4th place. Or possibly 5th, we're not sure. But not 6th. Which is nice, as there are only 6 teams in our division...

*that means in the area in front of the net

*****
These ads are kind of interesting.

3 Comments:

At Thu Aug 02, 04:20:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

I always wanted to play hockey. I'm a bit klutzy, so I'd be more of a Marty McSorley type, bashing heads and whatnot. "Watch me make Gretzky's head bleed!"

I enjoyed playing waterpolo scrimmages in high school. There's a lot that can go on under the water, and I did all of it (and got fouled out lots and lots). =)

 
At Thu Aug 02, 06:27:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

yay for desperation shots that go in! that'll show that ref! ;)

and i'm hoping sam's conversation with you means she's feeling better.

 
At Mon Aug 06, 01:58:00 AM PDT, Blogger Blogball said...

Wow, way to go concerning your hockey game Bryan! Moments like these don’t’ come around often weather you are pro, semi- pro, armature, or a pick up game on a frozen pond, or a frozen over back yard. Its still a great shot that you will always remember.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home