Saturday, October 07, 2006

New York, New York...

I hate that song. It's almost as bad as "My Way" and "Maggie May", but not quite.
And just today when Sam said that about a different song, I gave her a speech about how it's more spiritually harmonious and less judgmental to just say something like
"I have never cared for that song. I'm sure some like it, but it's never done much for me."
I mean, hating a song seems like such a waste of energy, doesn't it?

But anyway, I hate that song. I find it annoying and stupid and unpleasant to listen to.

Because even tho I'd never been there in my life, I always sort of hated New York.
Big cities always seemed scary to me. As a young person I was painfully shy -- being in a room with 3 strangers was difficult, much less 8 million of them.
Also, I've always really enjoyed post-apocalypse fiction, and it's a well-known fact that cities are a bad place to be after an apocalypse. So that's another strike against NY.
I hated the Yankees because they had so many celebrity fans, and so much money, and won so much.
Then there's the rude people, with their unpleasant accent.
And the fact that NYers are often so proud about where they come from, and wax rhapsodic about The Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, Soho, the Upper West Side, or whatever -- places I'd never seen and had been getting along just fine without -- and some even give the impression they think everyone wishes they could live in New York, too.
Plus, lots of people are enamoured and terribly impressed with New York. And if you want me to dislike something, just tell me everyone else loves it -- I have an immature and perverse personality flaw that makes me hate whatever it is that everyone else loves.

So because of all the above, I wanted to hate New York itself, as well as the song. But I didn't.

I spent two days in NYC on my way to my client gig in New Jersey. It was great. The people seemed fairly directed and in a bit of a hurry sometimes, but the ones I interacted with were all charming. They hardly said the F-word at all. And once I got over my fear that WWIII (or a big meteor) was going to hit while I was there, leaving me to survive in a post-apocalyptic urban jungle, I had a great time.

Central Park is beautiful; the architecture is interesting; the subway is navigable, even for out-of-towners, and the mix of languages and cultures is fascinating.

All in all, had a wonderful time. Stayed across the street from Ground Zero, where the World Trade Center was. Saw a musical. Ate good food. Walked miles around Manhattan. Came away with a whole different attitude about New York. But I still hate that song...



































5 Comments:

At Sun Oct 08, 08:07:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had very similar reaction my first and only trip to NYC. I am from small town USA and didn't much care for big cities and had a general bad impression of NYers. I had met quite a few overbearing expats. Then of course the other issue was that our President decided it would be a good idea to invade another country the day we left. We are in the airport with the threat level at almost red and National guard walking around with m16's. I knew that Terrorists were plotting a surprise for us on this very weekend. NY being the only city they had attacked before why change now. So as we cross each bridge into Manhattan I breath a sign of relief. We get to the hotel and get settled in. in the middle of the night a huge explosion goes off. I am expecting the telltale mushroom cloud as I peer out the window wondering how I will save my wife and baby not knowing anyone in this town and having no great escape from NY plan. The explosion? The have thunder in NYC as well we did in MI but it is even louder there when you are on the 20th floor and it reverberates through all of the skyscrapers. After I settled down and resigned myself to the fact that we would all die that weekend we had a pretty good time. I can tell you I was happy to cross that last bridge on the way out. I could almost consider going back. If we did plan a trip it would mean that the presinedt would have to raid Iran so maybe we will just stay put. The song...it is catchy, you can dance to it, I give it a 7.

 
At Sun Oct 08, 12:22:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i, too, had the small-town fear of NY but unlike you, i did want to visit. my biggest apprehension, tho, was riding on subways. they seemed to be breeding grounds for crime, filth, drug-use... you name it. when i got there, my first subway trip was via grand central station. what a beautiful bldg (one of my recommendations -- did you ever see it?)! since trains, buses, and subways seem to hub there, it is a little confusing but with my NY-savvy companion, i was able to make use and feel comfortable with subways. they are an incredible convenience for getting around the city.

i had a great time in nyc, tho did not have near enough of it -- need to go back. hopefully w/o incident the next time. :)

 
At Sun Oct 08, 10:00:00 PM PDT, Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

Hey cool that you got to explore New York!! I have only been there once and it was for like 25 hours but I walked all over Manhattan and road the subway when we needed to rest...I too found the people to be very friendly...even helpful on the subway when we were trying to figure out where to get off etc.... I really want to go again for a bit longer visit..with a larger budget too I hope... ;)

 
At Mon Oct 09, 11:47:00 AM PDT, Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

If you want to meet a few rude east coasters, they live in BOSTON, not NYC. I love the (real) City because you can actually get lost. Maybe you shouldn't, but you could.

 
At Wed Oct 11, 12:59:00 AM PDT, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

I too loved NYC the one and only time I visited, but I was smart enough to know ahead of time that it was great and that I would love it. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home