Sunday, September 24, 2006

whine and cheese(burgers)

12:05am, ravenous, nothing is open. In desperation we order sandwiches and icewater at McDonalds drivethru. "We no longer give waters here." "Well, can we pay for them?" "Yes." Turns out they're .99 apiece, just like a soda.
Then apparently they had to cook everything from scratch, including possibly raising the wheat for the buns, because we had to park at least 10 minutes at the famous "second window", which is an eternity in drive-thru land. No one said "It will just be a minute." or "It'll be 10 minutes, sorry."
When our order finally came, they handed it to us wordlessly. No "Sorry for the delay." No extra fries or apple turnover thing thrown in. All in all, the least efficient drive-thru experience of my life.

All of which I share just to show that in whinging about the above I am actually no better than people I was making fun in my mind of the next day.

Person #1, on cell phone in airport: "Yeah, it turns out you can't check your bags more than 4 hours before your flight. Yes, so we had to wait around for an hour with our bags. But we got through that, and then..."
Bryan, to himself: You "got through that"? What was it you "got through" again? Let's see, I think it was sitting in one place for an hour. No discomfort, reponsibilities, no effort of any kind. Oh, the humanity.

Person #2, sitting next to me on the plane: "Well, I had a choice -- I could wait for my United flight, and get home two and a half hours late, or I could bite the bullet and take a middle seat on this flight. I decided to go with the middle seat..."
It’s this kind of courage that inspires us all...

5 Comments:

At Sun Sep 24, 01:55:00 PM PDT, Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

With those kinds of difficulties, makes you wonder why all those folks in 3rd world countries are whining about waiting in line for their UN-sponsored rations in 120 degree heat. Sheesh. They should think about the poor guy at the airport 5 hours early.
PS Who gets to the airport 5 hours early? What was he hoping to accomplish?

 
At Sun Sep 24, 06:18:00 PM PDT, Blogger unca said...

Yes, "middle-seat-guy" has certainly raised the bar for all of us.

 
At Mon Sep 25, 11:39:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm courageous too -- i have to "bite the bullet" and sit in the middle seat to new orleans (for at least 2 of the 4 legs on this upcoming trip)... i'll be SO inconvenienced! :)

 
At Mon Sep 25, 01:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger Blogball said...

What courage! What sacrifice!

I’m sure if Patrick Henry was still around he would say “Give me a flight that's on time or give me a middle seat”

 
At Thu Sep 28, 07:30:00 PM PDT, Blogger Alan said...

Why is the middle seat between linebackers and never cheerleaders? Just an observation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home