Saturday, April 01, 2006

whining

When in danger or in doubt
Run in circles, scream and shout.


This has been a challenging week. There were numerous things to be happy about, but I’m having none of that. I choose rather to focus on the sad, stressful, and inconvenient events and issues. To wit:

* Four separate serious personal issues that I’m trying to wade through right now that can’t be published in this forum.

* A little girl in my church died. Her funeral was this morning.

* A past mistake of mine reached out to bite me.

* I gravely insulted a close friend.

* Another close friend is having a really rough time with an Ex who is being threatening and unreasonable.

* Taxes are due.

* I’m behind on numerous work deliverables.

* The IRS wants $500 for some sin that I’m not aware of, but they’re probably right about.

* I have to get my house ready to show/sell, and find a place to live afterward.

* I have conflicting priorities at a particular client site; I did not manage that issue (or my time) well, and the client brought it to my attention.

* My main client took two weeks longer than expected to pay me; I’m over the edge financially right now until I sell the house, so that was less than convenient.

* I just spent 11 days on the road. A scheduling miscommunication means I will have less than 2 days at home before I ship out again tomorrow for 4 more days. Not a fun thing to have to tell David, whose depression and separation anxiety are exacerbated by my absence.

* I neglected to communicate properly with Hannah re next week’s travel, meaning she had to cancel plans she had made. (FTR, she was gracious about it.)

* Sam & David were really unkind to each other today. The thing I want most in life is for my kids to be happy, and often I’m powerless to make that happen. David blames me for having to work; Sam blames me for not having enough time to spend the day with her exclusively.

* I have a list as long as my arm of to-do’s to finalize the divorce (eg, separate bank accts, attend a parenting class, get cars fixed, submit financial documents, etc)

* Trying to make it back from Texas last night, my flight had mechanical problems. All of us with Denver connections missed them. We were taken off the plane in order to try other options, but the agents seemed flustered and disorganized. They didn’t prioritize the line, or re-group us by destination, just handled people in the order they lined up. After a half hour they had only serviced 3 people out of 20 or so. I finally walked to the front of the line and said “There is an America West flight leaving for Seattle via Las Vegas in 20 minutes which you have agreed to cover me on, but if you process me in order I will not make that flight.” They printed my ticket and that of the other Seattle passenger. Most in the line understood, but I got some pretty sour looks from others, even after I apologized. The other Seattle passenger and I ran 20 gates and made the AW flight, hot and sweaty. The gate agent had to shut the jetway door temporarily to handle us; when another passenger questioned it, I said “If this was Russia, you might be able to bribe him to open it.” The agent frowned and said “I don’t take bribes.” (?!?) Then he mixed up our names (the other passenger’s *first* name was Torre) and gave us both the same seat assignment for the second leg. Luckily when we got to Las Vegas there was room to fix things, but it was a stress all the same. My bag of course did not make it to Seattle with me.

Also: I don’t actually know what “to wit” means, or how to use it. Sue me.

13 Comments:

At Sat Apr 01, 10:03:00 PM PST, Blogger heatherfeather said...

whoa... i just got bummed reading this.

i think the whining is justified. and calls for wining.

may this week, although involving travel, be brighter in just 1 (but preferably 35161341) ways.

 
At Sat Apr 01, 11:21:00 PM PST, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Augh. Awful. I can feel the stress rising off the screen. I am sorry. :(

 
At Sat Apr 01, 11:29:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

even considering the date, i'm guessing this isn't an april's fool post (too bad). so sorry for this bad period going on right now. wish i could help. hang in there, bryan.

remember what i told you about taking sides...

 
At Sun Apr 02, 02:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Kylee said...

you have ample reason to whine...do it..get it off your chest..don't feel guilty about it..who knows it might help..Good luck

 
At Sun Apr 02, 10:22:00 PM PDT, Blogger jay are said...

I promise to visit you often in the hospital after you've suffered a major heart attack.
Wish there was a way to take a few loads off.....

 
At Mon Apr 03, 03:34:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please stay away from all sharp objects, firearms and fire for that matter. BTW are you related to someone named Murphy? Hang in there and have faith in your faith.

 
At Mon Apr 03, 04:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Oh my goodness ... hope all resolves itself in some respect, and you can get back to some form of normality !! Take it easy, and take care, Meow

 
At Mon Apr 03, 05:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger unca said...

Wow. Hey Brian, we're wit ya! Hang in there, buddy.

 
At Tue Apr 04, 03:53:00 PM PDT, Blogger Blogball said...

Bryan I’m sorry to hear about all of this.
Knowing you I know you will be all the stronger as you overcome these challenges.

I know you like quotes so I found one that might help a little.

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
William Ellery Channing

 
At Tue Apr 04, 09:59:00 PM PDT, Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

They say when it rains it pours... how's the weather in Seattle, because it's pouring here...

 
At Tue Apr 04, 11:01:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck getting through all that, hope the good stuff is real good!

 
At Tue Apr 04, 11:06:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

Thanks very much for words of support.
Some of the things on the list have gotten better, some worse, some fixed now, added some others. Life moves ahead. And it beats the alternative, as they say...

 
At Thu Apr 13, 02:29:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, from answers.com (my favorite to "prove" you wrong) :)

Idioms
to wit:

That is to say, namely, as in There are three good reasons for not going, to wit, we don't want to, we don't have to, and we can't get a reservation. This expression comes from the now archaic verb to wit, meaning “know or be aware of,” not heard except in this usage. [Late 1500s]

in this case, answers.com is proving you right (just a *little* old)! good going!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home