Monday, October 31, 2005

kissing your sister

Played hockey last night -- ended in a 3-3 tie.

I played D, but I got one goal and two assists, which was nice.

Toward the end of the game, I got in an opposing player's face because it looked to me like he took a cut at the back of our goalie's glove after our goalie had covered the puck. This is a big no-no in hockey -- the goalies are pretty vulnerable in their bulky pads, and you could break their hand if you hit it right with your stick.

Anyway, it's the defensman's job to protect his goalie -- when I'm playing center, for example, if I'm messing around with their goalie in any way, I expect to get roughed up and shoved around by their D.

So the point of my long and boring story is that the other player and I ended up shoving and yelling into each other's faces (it's part of the game -- a little intimidation sometimes helps your side) and we both got penalties for unsportsmanlike behaviour. The other guy was still mouthing from the penalty box, and then one of our guys said something, and the ref thought it was me saying it, and he gave me a 10-minute game misconduct. Which was annoying since I hadn't even said anything after getting sent off.

So then nothing else happened, and after the game we all shook hands and went home. The End.

7 Comments:

At Tue Nov 01, 09:43:00 PM PST, Blogger jay are said...

Gee, what a great sport....I know, I know---everybody loves the fights. And I know it IS a great sport. But some parts seem dumber to me than others. That's all I'm saying.

 
At Sat Nov 05, 08:10:00 PM PST, Blogger unca said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Sat Nov 05, 08:11:00 PM PST, Blogger unca said...

I could never understand the deal with hockey where everybody stands around and lets two guys fight each other so they "get it out of their system" or something like that. I guess the idea is that they've got so much padding on they're not going to hurt each other very much. Still, I'm not comfortable with this strange policy which IMHO diminishes the integrity of an otherwise elegant sport.

 
At Sun Nov 06, 05:28:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm afraid that i also don't understand the nuances -- actually, i don't *really* understand the non-nuances (whatever the antonym is for nuance) either. (maybe unca can assist -- see erik's last post.)

also is a tie game the reason for the reference to "kissing your sister?"

ienuei is what i suffer -- this is previous word verification; i prefer it to the final one.

 
At Sun Nov 06, 06:05:00 PM PST, Blogger jay are said...

Interesting, a few days ago, in an "unpublished" (not establishing legal precedent) opinion, the Virginia Court of Appeals endorsed a finding that "fighting is an integral part of the game of hockey." So, now it's pseudo-legal!

 
At Sun Nov 06, 11:45:00 PM PST, Blogger Rob said...

a tie is like kissing your sister, yes. :-)

 
At Mon Nov 07, 12:53:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, an actual comment back! i think that this is the 2nd time -- i'm so honored. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home