Thursday, October 20, 2005

want some cheese with that?

I’m not sure what my point is (are we in a contest to decide who’s the busiest, or the biggest martyr?), but my week has been challenging, and since this is my blog, I get to whine about it here.
Or at least, list some of the things I’m trying to do, or work around…:
- Samantha needing to be picked up sick from school
- remote support for Texas client
- remote followup work for California client
- toilet stopped up
- Hannah to hospital for CAT scan (esophageal ulcer)
- David needing to be picked up from school for arm X-ray (4 hrs later: not broken)
- Truck in the shop ($1000)
- Fix David’s bike
- fix temporarily-defunct laptop
- change ISP's
- fix business website (current ISP lost it)
- return calls to importunate clients ;-)
- Replace headlight on Hannah’s car
- Meetings with accountants
- to finish 2004 taxes
- get new health insurance (stacks of forms)
- refinance the house (more forms)
- spend a little time with Samantha since I’ve been gone a lot and just spent a whole weekend with David
- set up wireless network for the house (problem with CenturyTel’s DSL modem)
- Clean mouse turds out of the dishwasher (apparently I’m the only family member qualified for this job) so Samantha can do the dishes
- Dry and re-pack the camping gear
- Hannah gone to school and taking some evenings of deserved time off
- Cat peed on the carpet in the hallway, sealing her doom – this is not the first pee incident, or even the 10th – have to arrange for taking her back to the Humane Society (or doing away with her myself – messy, unpleasant, and sure to bring recriminations)
- All the standard business stuff I always do on my weeks home: tax deposits, invoicing, pay Amex for travel, trip reports, personal bills & bank acct reconciliation, client communications, quarterly reports & taxes, printer/fax maintenance, order a replacement for worn-out Amex card, figure out why mortgage debit didn’t go thru this month and make phone pymt to bank, blah blah blah
- Find a little personal time to blog, get a haircut, exercise, trim my beard/toenails, take an occasional shower, whatever

And just so you know that I have SOME perspective, a disclaimer: this is not “challenging” in the real-life-serious-issues sense – I’m not paralyzed, blind, or on chemo, or watching a family member die, or battling schizophrenia (AFAIK), or bailing my daughter out of jail for prostitution, or dropping my son at rehab, or or or or…
This is merely challenging in the sense of having a million things to do and not being able to organize and accomplish them all. Actually, building the Serious Issues list immediately above (which is just a few of the hundreds of difficult things I COULD be dealing with and am not) makes me not want to post this at all. But now that I’ve taken the time when I s/h been working to write this stupid post, I’m going to put it up anyway. So there.

6 Comments:

At Thu Oct 20, 01:50:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

- fix laptop?
- fix business website?
- return calls?

i can help add to your list that will make you feel even *better*... :-)

(you never mentioned in previous email re cat issue, i wonder why?)

actually, i have my own personal list that's different traumatically than yours but also not that serious in the scheme of things, come to think.

dsesanx -- word verification that reminds me of my name, sort of... (actually since i didn't publish soon enough, it changed!)

 
At Thu Oct 20, 03:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

You're right. OK, I'll add those...

 
At Thu Oct 20, 04:03:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

excuse me, "importunate"?!? (verified the meaning as to make sure that my understanding of the word was correct -- not flattering!) i'm sure you actually meant to type "important" -- you just added too many letters.

 
At Thu Oct 20, 04:10:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

I knew that'd get you going...

 
At Fri Oct 21, 08:04:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly what do mouse turds look like? I hope you're serious about this otherwise I'm gonna feel like a turd myself. I ask because Erik and I have these unexplainable black coffee ground looking things on and around our dishwasher.

 
At Fri Oct 21, 10:27:00 AM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

like grains of rice, only smaller and black/brown/dark grey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home