Friday, October 21, 2005

6:45am

Samantha & David leave for the bus stop. It’s in the mid-to-high 40s and it’s still dark; David’s wearing a leather motorcycle jacket, Samantha’s in a T-shirt (and flip flops).

Me [to Samantha]: You’re gonna need a jacket, hon, it’s cold out there.

Sam: Well, I won’t be out there very long.

Me: Well, it's your choice, but you’re going to be cold.

[Samantha goes outside…]

Sam [sarcastically]: Thanks, Dad.

Me: What?

Sam: For telling me I needed a jacket. Now I’m going to be all cold while I’m waiting.

Me: Ah. You mean, it was me saying you needed a jacket that made you cold? Nothing to do with the actual temperature?

Sam: Yeah, now I’m going to be thinking about it.

Me: Well, now that you’re thinking about it, why don’t you take a jacket?

Sam: I don’t have a jacket.

Me: You don’t have a jacket. Well, how about a sweater? A shawl?

Sam: I can’t fit it in my backpack, and I don’t have time to go to my locker. Bye.

[Wanders down the driveway clutching her upper arms.]

2 Comments:

At Fri Oct 21, 07:24:00 AM PDT, Blogger jay are said...

That is excellent. Teenage brain damage at its best! You gotta love 'em. It's these small heartwarming moments that make being a parent so rewarding!

 
At Tue Nov 01, 09:52:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff! I am doing a parenting session soon - imagine that - and this is fine material for understanding the teenager - or not! Were we like them? -- Smiles -- Laurie Boyte

 

Post a Comment

<< Home