Friday, April 27, 2007

No fair!

I remember going thru a stage at about 7 yrs old where I proclaimed "no fair!" whenever something happened that I didn't like. Camila's daughter (6) is doing the same thing right now.

I think we're basically wired that way. When we really really want something, if something stands in our way we invoke any argument we can to suggest that we should get what we want. Alcoholics can be very logical and persuasive about why it's reasonable that they should have a drink, but the bottom line is their limbic system is telling them "DRINK NOW" and the rest is just rationalization.

To me, this also relates to the question of Connected vs Separate Knowing. Separate Knowing is the only way I understand to avoid this pitfall. Without doubt, Connected Knowing is useful for empathizing, for understanding another's feelings, etc -- but when it comes to making useful choices, when it comes to identifying and pursuing the greatest good, I don't see how it could possibly be as useful as a healthy dose of Separate Knowing.



PS. See here what Scott Adams said recently about "the illusion of fairness"...

2 Comments:

At Fri Apr 27, 04:17:00 PM PDT, Blogger Alan said...

I've been telling the kids for twenty years that "Life's not fair. Get used to it."

They still complain to this day.

 
At Mon Apr 30, 06:03:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

You're right, Alan.
In fact, I've recently begun reminding the kids that "fairness" don' even enner into it.
Not only is life not fair, it is grossly, dramatically, spectacularly, tragically UNFAIR in just about every way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home