Monday, November 07, 2005

McNews

On the front of USA Today, 25 October 2005:

Bush's Fed Pick Ensures Stability

Does anyone else see anything odd about this headline? Specifically, that it's an editorial comment rather than news?

It seems to me that who Bush picked is news; an opinion about the impossible-to-predict future that will result from his choice is not. To actually ensure stability is impossible, and I think it's interesting that USA Today would report it that way.

Bush's intentions may have been to ensure stability, and pundits may be saying that his choice will ensure stability -- those things are both news. And I should add that I think stability is absolutely essential to our economy, and I support its pursuit fully. The stock market is only as good as investors think the economy is, so anything that keeps things stable is bound to be good. But in choosing a headline like that, it seems to me the paper is veering away from news reporting and moving toward something else...

1 Comments:

At Tue Nov 08, 09:41:00 AM PST, Blogger unca said...

Twas ever thus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home