Saturday, April 23, 2005

a clockwork orange

I had LASIK surgery yesterday. This morning I can see. It's incredible.

They say it will take several months for my eyes to heal to the point where I get my best vision, but even today it's decent. I'm probably getting in the neighbourhood of 20/40 or 20/50 uncorrected, which I think is pretty amazing, considering that just yesterday afternoon they were slicing open my cornea and burning it with a laser.

I'm now allowing myself to hope for 20/20 uncorrected, altho I'm not counting on it.

I will say this: all the people I had talked to beforehand said it was "relatively painless". They lied. Or maybe I just blotted the word "relatively" out of my mind. Or maybe I'm just a big baby. But in any case, it *was* somewhat painful when they cut the flap, and when the numbing drops wore off after surgery it felt like I had hot sand in my eyes. I took 4 Advils and a big slug of Benadryl and went to sleep for 12 hrs -- I highly recommend this approach. My eyes feel fine this morning, and all's well with the world.

The only downside I can see is that since I'm 40 yrs old I'll need reading glasses now. Being nearsighted, I was able to see clearly close-up without my glasses on -- now that we've "corrected" away that anomalie, I'm like everyone else -- I'll have to be dragging my glasses out to read prescriptions, etc.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes, in case you have no life of your own...

9 Comments:

At Sun Apr 24, 12:49:00 AM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

Thx, mamacita.

Just for the record, by the time I got to my followup exam today, I was able to see 20/15 on the eye chart.

They said to expect it to fluctuate a bit (and each eye at different rates) but that overall my vision should get better and crisper over the next several wks/months.

I'm jazzed.

 
At Sun Apr 24, 09:14:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Are you saying you can see clearly now? Is the rain gone? Can you see all the obstacles in your way?
Or are you just whining a whole bunch, making your wife want to put the pillow over your head? ;)
Glad you are healing up.
Lois Lane
P.S. I really wish I could make this font teeny tiny just to mess with you.

 
At Mon Apr 25, 03:39:00 PM PDT, Blogger particleman said...

thankfully, i was blessed with eyes that have slowly lost their spherical shape and have morphed into something resembling an egg. having astigmatism sucks, and there's nothing a laser can do to fix it. i'll have four eyes for the rest of my life. who knows, one day, i might have 6, or 8.

 
At Tue Apr 26, 02:44:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

lois:
yes, the rain is gone. except that i live in seattle, so it's not.

p-man:
sorry to hear about your deformity. i have (i mean, i HAD) medium-bad astigmatism with my myopia and they were able to correct it all, but there are lots of factors: severity & stability of your prescription, pupil size, corneal thickness, etc.
have fun with those glasses. (did i mention i don't have them any more?) as someone who's had glasses since age 8, believe me i can feel your pain. but that doesn't stop me from making fun of it...

 
At Tue Apr 26, 03:13:00 PM PDT, Blogger unca said...

The human eyeball is not meant to be touched by anybody including yourself for any reason, anytime, anywhere. We started violating this rule with contact lenses and now we're slicing up our eyeballs and setting them on fire. Nuff said.

 
At Tue Apr 26, 05:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

apparently there are lots of things that you're not spozed to touch, and they all make you go blind...

 
At Sat Apr 30, 02:57:00 PM PDT, Blogger gemmak said...

Glad it seems to have gone so well. i would love to have it done but I can't....stuck with multi focals for life it seems.

Love your last reply! o)

 
At Tue May 03, 05:52:00 PM PDT, Blogger particleman said...

dear bryan,

thanks for the kind words. i hope you wake up color blind. i also hope you forgot to read the fine print on the contract your surgeon made you sign that said "if you wake up color blind, don't come crying to us. crying wasn't guaranteed either, so count your blessings."

have a great day,
particleman

 
At Tue May 31, 12:05:00 AM PDT, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Wow! That's pretty cool. I am happy for you!!! I didn't know you had them since age 8. Dagnab. Since you play sports, you must be excited about not having to have those goggles or contacts or whatever all the time. What's your favorite thing about it? I was going to think about having it until I decided I look better with my glasses on. This is two important things you didn't tell me: 1) you had LASIK 2) You saw Mamma Mia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home