Tuesday, April 19, 2005

then this happened

Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is quite as satisfying as an income tax refund.
--F. J. Raymond

A few months ago, I got a letter from the IRS stating that I owed $14,000 in unpaid tax, plus about $3,500 in penalties and interest. This did not fill me with joy.

I sent a few letters explaining why I did not owe them any money.

They sent me a letter saying that the penalties and interest were now $4,000, but that I could make payments if I couldn't pay the whole $18,000 all at once.

I made some phone calls and sent more letters.

A week or so ago, I finally got a letter that said, among other things:
Previous Account Balance: $18K
Amount You Now Owe: -0-

It was one of the nicest letters anyone ever sent me...

2 Comments:

At Wed Apr 20, 12:02:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

then i found $18,000...

 
At Thu Apr 21, 12:20:00 AM PDT, Blogger gemmak said...

Wowo...I can't think of a letter I would rather receive....good on ya :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home