Thursday, September 10, 2009

lucky weekend

I saw Chris Isaak last Friday night. It was a great concert. He threw his guitar pick into the crowd and it landed on my foot.

Then I went to see Brandi Carlile on Sunday night, and when she threw *her* pick into the crowd, my friend caught it and gave it to me.

So now I have guitar picks from two of my favorite artists. (That and $4 gets you a cup of coffee.)
In case you don't believe me, I took a picture...


One other thing: the Brandi Carlile concert was a benefit for her charitable organization, and they had a deal where a few fans performed onstage at open mic before the concert. My friend who got the tickets put my name on the list as a surprise for me last month. Given how awesome Brandi's voice is, it was a little intimidating to take my one year of guitar lessons and 6-note vocal range up there to sing/play for 250 Brandi Carlile fans. The other acts had real talent, but it went fine, the fans were nice, and it ended up being a lot of fun. I got a hug from Brandi and handshakes from her band, so maybe now I'm famous. I didn't say it was an interesting story.
Anyway, Brandi and her band are a class act, and I like the humble and no-nonsense way she runs her charitable giving.
And in case you wanna see what I looked like through a cell phone, and with crappy sound, here you go:
The song (half of which is in the clip) is actually a poem written by my talented cousin; I threw some chords around it two days before the concert.
I was glad the audience was kind; setting their expectations low (plus a shot of Hornitos before going onstage) made it all work out :-)
Oh, forgot to say: at the end of the concert all of us who had performed beforehand got invited onstage to sing an encore (Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues) with the band. We sounded better than this kid, but we weren't nearly as cute... :-)

7 Comments:

At Thu Sep 10, 12:38:00 PM PDT, Blogger Extrem4 said...

I am thinking if you would have went with a stirring rendition of "Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky" it would have brought down the house.

 
At Thu Sep 10, 12:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger bub said...

And I didn't even know you spoke - let along sang - Hazaragi! That was Hazaragi, wasn't it? I mean, cause, you know, like it really did sound like my favorite Afghani love song. I was even humming along as you sang. Way to go, dude.

 
At Thu Sep 10, 02:04:00 PM PDT, Blogger jay are said...

Totally cool!! I only wish I could've heard it. I was hoping you would post that. Man, I wish I'd been there. And too weird about the guitar picks. Lucky days!

Has Brandi contacted you yet to come sing with her??

(I'd say the crowd was mucho impressed.)

 
At Thu Sep 10, 07:40:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

i thought the concert had happened. wow, i'm glad you posted this (tho, as richard indicated -- in what language were you singing? :D couldn't hear very well at all!). how great you all were able to sing with brandi! wish i had been there.

very cool on the guitar picks also!

 
At Mon Sep 14, 04:57:00 PM PDT, Blogger Alan said...

That is very cool Brian, although I did have to google to see who Brandi was. You are quite lucky. I only have a two note range.

 
At Sun Sep 20, 12:30:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lyn said...

You rocked. I was there!

 
At Wed Sep 23, 12:05:00 AM PDT, Blogger Erik said...

nice work bro!

also chris isaak rocks and i've seen him in concert. give me his pick. that way, you will have a brandi carlile pick and i will have a chris isaak pick and it will be more fair that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home