Sunday, March 23, 2008

feminism

The movement was built on the premise that women were smarter than men believed, wanted more than men felt they deserved, were more ambitious than men were comfortable with, and had dreams bigger than the boundaries men set for them. It was about being politically affirming, not politically divisive.

This quote from a writer at theroot.com, sorry I lost the reference.

I think that
a) at core, this is what the movement was about at the beginning
b) even this reasonable position was met with strong resistance
c) most people today would have no problem accepting the above
d) in many ways, the movement as it is today has been twisted and exaggerated from within and without to such a degree that it's now considerably more -- and less -- than what it was at the beginning.

4 Comments:

At Tue Mar 25, 10:09:00 PM PDT, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Yeah, I'd probably agree with your four points. As for me, all I want is for everyone to agree that I'm superior and let me stay at home while you guys do all the work.

 
At Thu Mar 27, 04:10:00 AM PDT, Blogger CC said...

Well you know what? I think you're just against feminism. I think you want to pretend like things are ok nowadays. I think you just want me to stay home and bake cookies and have babies instead of going to college, just because I don't have a Y chromosome! Shame on you for imposing your disgusting chauvinistic standards on me, you perpetrator of archaic obsolete societal evils! Shame! SHAAAAAME!

 
At Thu Mar 27, 04:11:00 AM PDT, Blogger CC said...

ps just kidding. all feminists are lesbians.

 
At Mon Mar 31, 07:11:00 AM PDT, Blogger unca said...

I have no smart aleck comment to leave here -- I agree with your four points.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home