Sunday, June 03, 2007

Eight Random Things

Psychomamma has tagged me with a deal where you're supposed to tell 8 random things about yourself.
As if I needed a reason. For many of us, the whole blogging deal is just the actualization of our theory that what the world needs is more of Meeee....

So, anyway, eight things:

1) Chris Cope's wife said about him something like "He's happiest when he's pleasing people and being the center of attention." She could have been talking about me. On the positive side, I love making connection with strangers; on the other hand, I've only comparatively recently begun to free myself from a debilitating need to be liked by everyone.

2) I loved american football as a kid. I hit puberty too late to ever play, but I loved the sport so much I would stay after school just to watch the team practice. My brother and I made our own pads out of cardboard and foam rubber and tackled each other in the back yard. To this day, the sounds of the sport excite and inspire me: the quarterback barking the count, the lines crashing together, with the grunts of the players and the click and smack of helmets and pads...

3) I used to be devoutly religious, impatient with things that smelled like psychobabble or moral relativism, convinced of the existence of moral certainty, and a stickler for good grammar. Now I'm not any of those things. Maybe it's connected.

4) I used to think mullets were cool. Also, if I could wear whatever I wanted without fear of social ostracism, I would dress like Zorro (this one -- or even this one -- but not this one), or possibly a pirate, altho Jack Sparrow can be a bit swishy for my taste.

5) I majored in computer science because I was shy -- I wanted a job where I wouldn't have to deal with other people much. Then I found out I actually liked people, but by then I was in the middle of a degree and it was too late to change to psychology or linguistics. Plus, I wanted to make money and at the time CSCI seemed the easiest route. It's way easier than engineering, and the pay is comparable...

6) I wore a lot of hand-me-downs and clothes from garage sales as a young child. Later, my parents had more money, but to this day I feel guilty when I buy new clothes.

7) I wanted to have long hair all during my childhood (1970 - present) but wasn’t allowed to when I lived at home. Later, when I finally could, I found out I don’t look that great with long hair. Now I have a flat-top again for the first time in 20 yrs…
8) I really really really like pie.


Oops. Almost forgot you're spozed to tag other ppl. Not sure how they could possibly be as interesting as me, but for the sake of playing along...

Chris Cope, because he's got loads of free time and insufficient outlets for self-expression.
Erik, because of reasons which I'm sure will come to me in a moment.
Crystal, because she's insane.
Andi, because she's not, and because what she's about right now is so much more meaningful and authentic and articulate than anything I've ever experienced or written.

9 Comments:

At Sun Jun 03, 10:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Kylee said...

Very interesting Bryan - Thanks for sharing.

I hope all is well.

 
At Mon Jun 04, 08:05:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

Hey Bryan! Thanks for playing! As usual, very interesting. Can't wait to hear what Erik says...

 
At Mon Jun 04, 09:06:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

This meme is getting around. I've got the same one posted...

"Gonna make a pie, gonna make a pie, gonna make a pie with a heart in the middle..."

 
At Mon Jun 04, 01:09:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

hey applevenusian: is your quote from the waitress? just saw the film -- the most interesting sidenote being what happened to the writer/director/supporting actress of the film. think she also wrote/sang the song you're quoting too.

 
At Mon Jun 04, 02:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger Crystal said...

"Crystal, because she's insane.
Andi, because she's not, and because what she's about right now is so much more meaningful and authentic and articulate than anything I've ever experienced or written."

wow...

lol

wow...

i don't know if i should be proud or completely butthurt.

 
At Mon Jun 04, 11:17:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

kylee! nice to see you're alive!

lisa: you're very welcome.

av: i'd like to be a bass player too. as someone said (paraphrased) nothing makes a boy look cute like putting a drummer behind him and another guitar player next to him...

si: this is spozed to be all about meee... quit talking to av. ;-)

crystal: it's not like crazy is bad or something -- i find your kind of crazy charming. and besides, you can't be butthurt because i believe you declared your craziness yourself in a video about the very butt of which we speak. as it were.

 
At Tue Jun 05, 07:18:00 AM PDT, Blogger amy and marilyn said...

Why are men so enamored with pie?! Why not a state fair quality cookie, or a really great cake?? It seems this could be an inherent male trait, what do you think?

 
At Tue Jun 05, 09:58:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

si - Yes, Waitress! I saw it on my birthday and loved it. It's one of those films that makes you smile all day long after you see it.

Now I sing that song to my daughter at bedtime. She tries to sing along too.

Okay, back to the Bryan show... :-)

 
At Tue Jun 05, 05:05:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

well, bryan, i figured my chances of a reply back would be better with someone else... ;-)

actually, back to you -- only 2 of the 8 were not known by me, in some fashion or other, prior to this post. i think you need to supply 6 additional *unknown* facts. imo. and is this possibly about me, instead of you? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home