Saturday, September 03, 2005

and it's loot, loot, loot for the home team...

Can I just say this:
The media keeps talking about looting in New Orleans, etc, as if it's all about bad people taking advantage of the chaos to score themselves a new HDTV or whatever.
I suspect a large part of it is just people trying to get food or other necessities to survive, isn't it? And if it was my family that was hungry, you can bet I wouldn't stand there and gaze longingly thru the window of the flooded Safeway store. That would be me you see heaving a brick through and making my way back to my family with spaghetti-O's and Spam. Or possibly I would choose some actual food (as opposed to processed food-like substances), but you get the point.

1 Comments:

At Fri Sep 09, 08:01:00 AM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

Okay, maybe I'm wrong. I haven't seen much coverage -- too busy traveling to watch/read much news -- so I don't know for sure, but it's being suggested that the looting/violence is much more than people scoring food. That there's been arson, rape, that relief workers have been attacked, etc. Not so good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home