Tuesday, July 26, 2005

More about poop

Because the water table's so high where we are, lots of homes have a septic system that pumps into a mound instead of leaching into the ground thru a conventional gravity-fed drainage field.
A year ago my neighbour replaced his mound; it cost him upwards of $7,000.
This year my mound has started to fail. I had a guy out to look at it -- he said replacing the system would cost between $10K and $11K. That seemed really high to me, so called someone else. He recommended a designer to help me define what I needed; I paid the designer around $750 to draw up plans to just replace the sand/gravel/pipes rather than replacing the entire system (tanks, pumps, etc). The designer indicated that the repair should be substantially cheaper than building an entirely new system. I submitted these plans to the septic company; they sent me an estimate last week: with tax, $15K.
I'm not sure if I should hurry and get it done before it turns into $20K, or if I should just stop eating...

4 Comments:

At Wed Jul 27, 07:00:00 AM PDT, Blogger unca said...

"This year my mound has started to fail" --

Now there's a phrase you don't hear too often.

 
At Wed Jul 27, 09:31:00 AM PDT, Blogger Blogball said...

Whether you decide to take care of this now or later. It just sounds lake a crapshoot to me.

 
At Thu Jul 28, 03:02:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lois Lane said...

I say make friends with the neighbors and just crap over there. :P
Lois Lane

 
At Mon Aug 01, 01:02:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to see that the poop is finally get some real attention...deservingly I might add. Here in southern california we have another name for it: The Doog. Ironically enough this human biproduct can create some rather humorous stories as you so well described in your last posts. Doog on my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home