Sunday, April 03, 2005

Sin City

Just returned from 3 days in Las Vegas (business conference).

Everything is very large there. There is a lot of money going on. It is loud, and there are a lot of lights. People seem to stay up quite late.

The "family-friendly" push of a few yrs ago is history. On the street are people handing out cards with pictures of strippers who will come to your room for private dances. Or whatever. Didn't hire one, so I'm not totally sure of all the details.

I saw Mamma Mia (musical based on ABBA songs). I was the only straight male in our group, but I confess to a secret love of ABBA's music, I don't care what anyone says.

I had beginner's luck at the blackjack table, ended up ahead about $65.

On the plane I sat next to a Columbian guy who had a couple bottles of red wine and became friendly and garrulous. He said we can all create or choose our own reality, and that everything I said was what he had already decided I was going to say. Or something. Not totally sure about that either, because his Spanish was so fast and his English was accented. Not to mention people aren't at their most articulate when their hearts are Merry with Wine, as it were.

That's pretty much it. My presentation went well, I might get some business out of the schmooze-a-thon (ie, networking) aspects of the conference.

Tomorrow I leave for Austin, TX. With luck I'll soon write a blog post someone would actually want to read...

7 Comments:

At Sun Apr 03, 05:48:00 PM PDT, Blogger particleman said...

Try The Draughthouse on Medical for a good selection of beers. How I do miss that place...

http://www.draughthouse.com/

 
At Sun Apr 03, 06:47:00 PM PDT, Blogger unca said...

"Everything is very large there. There is a lot of money going on. It is loud, and there are a lot of lights."
Reminded me of what G.K. Chesterton said when first shown the lights of Broadway:
"What a glorious garden of wonders this would be to anyone who was lucky enough to be unable to read."

 
At Sun Apr 03, 10:05:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lois Lane said...

"...Or whatever. Didn't hire one, so I'm not totally sure of all the details." riiiight ;)
I was wondering where the heck you've been. I was reading this guy's blog. I think his name is Erik, anyhow, what a whack job! haha! Glad you're back, have a safe trip to Texas, hope you get lots of work and stuff.
Lois Lane

 
At Sun Apr 03, 11:06:00 PM PDT, Blogger Erik said...

very funny lois. :) i've got my eye on you from now on, make no mistake.

steve: riiiight...

 
At Tue Apr 05, 01:26:00 PM PDT, Blogger Stephanie said...

Since I create my own reality, what you've posted in your blog is exactly what *I* have decided you'll post.

 
At Tue Apr 05, 11:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rob said...

Thx for the recommendations, quotes, and comments.

Smiling, you're going to have to send me an email addr so I can reply to your questions about Mamma Mia... :-)

 
At Mon Apr 11, 04:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger Erik said...

steve-o-rino: i know you've been busy. but you can't even muster one tiny little post? that's pathetic on a level i can't even describe with english words. ;) c'mon soldier, let's stay the course here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home