Saturday, March 19, 2005

all about me

When someone takes a week-long hiatus from something (blogging, say) that they were sort of addicted to before, it's tempting to assume they were involved in some dramatic life-altering event, or at least something interesting. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I just finished an 8-week stint of work wherein I had at least one day of travel (ie, onsite) consulting every week. I was in Pennsylvania, DC, Texas, California, multiple times and not in that order. I'm happy to report that all of those states/districts are still there. Pennsylvania was *extremely* cold (I looked for a witch's tit to warm myself up on, but no luck...)

This week I've been doing remote support from home, trying to catch up on invoicing, bills, correspondence, marketing, home chores, etc. I'm also looking for a new pickup truck and I've almost finished my 2004 taxes.

My hockey team sewed up 1st place in our division with a victory against a team that had been our nemesis (they represented two of our five losses this season). I have three games next week, then playoffs start.

I only shouted at my daughter three times this week. Sounds bad, but if you'd seen how rude, uncooperative, and irresponsible she's been, you might understand. I love her like crazy, but I still want to kill her sometimes.

On one of my flights last week I sat next to a guy who sort of seemed like my separated-at-birth twin. He's also an IT guy, used to live in Canada, has a very similar sense of humor, knew all the same obscure comedy sketches, liked to do accents, spoke Ukranian (which I don't, but my parents live there sometimes, and I do speak a little Russian)... We spent the whole time cracking each other up. Rarely do you meet someone you connect with that well. Made me think of what one of my brothers said one time: "Sometimes I think it would be great to be gay, except for the gross parts..."

Now that I'm 40 and probably near death, I've started getting serious again about diet and exercise. Been running 6 miles a day, eating healthy, etc. My diet is this:
- minimal sugar (occasional fructose in fruit juice)
- frequent small portions
- more protein, more leafy greens, fewer carbs
- don't eat late at night
- regular exercise
- regular sleep
That's it. It always works for me. In the last 8 days, I've lost 3 lbs.

In a completely self-indulgent display of shallowness, I got my back & shoulders waxed for the first time ever. It wasn't that painful (I'm not *that* hairy yet), but I can't imagine doing my face or bikini line. I like how it feels now, and I think it looks a lot better.

In a couple weeks I start traveling again -- hopefully I can maintain my exercise/diet regimen thru that. It's always harder to eat right on the road.

So that's my story -- nothing interesting, just basically trying to get my life in better order. Hopefully I will be able to resume ranting and complaining soon about things I really have no idea about...

6 Comments:

At Sun Mar 20, 07:40:00 AM PST, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Only thing I see wrong with your list is water. I didn't see it there. I sure hope you are drinking 64 oz. everyday. Our bodies are supposed to be 70% water ya know. And according to a study I read in a medical journal, 90% of Americans are dehydrated. So if you aren't drinking enough water to float a boat, your "diet" is not complete. And in case you wonder, yes, I drink that much everyday.
LMAO @ "Sometimes I think it would be great to be gay, except for the gross parts..." I'd ask if you and the airplane guy exchanged numbers but that would be gay. ;)
Lois Lane

 
At Sun Mar 20, 10:53:00 PM PST, Blogger Blogball said...

Bryan, I was thinking about your comments about the guy you hit it off with on the plane and thought about the Hymn To Him song from My Fair Lady. I pictured you exiting the plane and then going into a musical number with your new friend.

I pictured you as Higgins and your friend as Pickering.

Here is just part of the musical number:

Why can't a woman take after a man?
Men are so pleasant, so easy to please;
Whenever you are with them, you're always at ease.
Would you be slighted if I didn't speak for hours?
PICKERING
Of course not!
HIGGINS
Would you be livid if I had a drink or two?
PICKERING
Nonsense.
HIGGINS
Would you be wounded if I never sent you flowers?
PICKERING
Never.
HIGGINS
Well, why can't a woman be like you?

Then at the end of the number I pictured everybody in the airport terminal giving you a standing ovation.

 
At Mon Mar 21, 07:06:00 PM PST, Blogger Erik said...

Lois, I'm a huge water fan too!
I guess that's all I have to say about that. But we're the same that way. As far as the number exchange: I can assure you that it went down, knowing bryan and his curious ways. :)

blogball-that was awesome, I need to see my fair lady just for that part.

 
At Mon Mar 21, 11:37:00 PM PST, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Dang, my list is exactly the same as yours except:

- lots of sugar (caramel apple pie, ice cream)
- stay up late at night
- no regular exercise (did go on a bike ride today)
- sleep whenever I want
-lots of diet coke, some water

I'm fairly certain I'm going to get good results from this. As we're doing basically the same thing with a few tweaks from my end, let's both keep at it and compare notes pretty soon, OK? Sweet.

 
At Tue Mar 22, 08:28:00 AM PST, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Blogball, standing ovation for that! Too funny!
Erik, you are my Aquatic brutha!
Roxy, something tells me you are much younger than your brother, therefore those things one day, when you are really old like him, may catch up to ya. And I can't tell you how yummy caramel apple pie, ice cream sounds right now, at breakfast time! Thanks a bunch, pal! ;)
Lois Lane

 
At Sun Apr 03, 03:32:00 PM PDT, Blogger particleman said...

I regularly eat two dinnrs - one at 6, one at 11 - and end a night of studying with a bowl of Cookies and Cream ice cream just before bed at 1. I also sporadically go to the gym. I'm probably at 40 oz. of water per day supplemented by 12 oz. of beer per day (on average).

i do not, however, drink soda (unless it's root beer).

i plan to retain this diet for the rest of my life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home