Saturday, March 05, 2005

Everything but the kitchen sink

Question for the day. Wait, two questions:

1) How many people put garbage (or plates with food on them) in the kitchen sink?
2) Why?

At my house, I find soda cans, food wrappers, cat food containers, chicken bones, plates of food, etc, in the sink. Why does my family do this? They weren't raised in a pig sty, or even in rural Arkansas.

My mother does this, yes, but it's understandable. Mom's not really peaked in Housekeeping -- her talents lie more in being kind, warm, loving, and artistic. She could be put in a concrete isolation chamber -- nothing but 4 walls and a hole in the floor -- and 5 minutes later it would be a shambles. We call her Entropy Woman. In Mom's sink, I wouldn't be surprised to find tax returns, or shoes, or maybe a lawn mower.

But Mom's kind of a special case. My wife is also artistic, but was raised to believe that cleanliness is next to Godliness, and clutter is the work of Satan. She takes two showers a day. She spends more time primping in a day than I do in a week. So I'm completely at a loss as to why she (and now the kids) can't be bothered to open the cupboard below the sink (it's 10 inches away, for pete's sake!) and put their trash in there.

When you put crap in the sink, or when you put dirty plates in without scraping/rinsing them, it means that:
a) somebody has to move the garbage twice
b) the sink clogs up, so you have 4" of scummy cold water surrounding your dirty dishes
c) the food congeals onto the plates, making cleanup ten times as difficult

What is wrong with these people? We all have to do dishes at one time or another, so you'd think they'd grasp that they're making their own life harder, but apparently not.

I guess I'm doomed to live with Moonbeam McSwine and the Garbage Pail Kids for the rest of my life. Any insight would be welcomed.

At least I feel better for ranting about it.

1 Comments:

At Sat Mar 05, 09:10:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, good times. :)

i do this too, but i have a good reason for it--i'm the most repulsive, slovenly human being you've ever seen. seriously, it would disgust you to see the level of squalor i'm comfortable with.

i'm not above defecating on the carpet if that will save me time. that was gross, but the truth hurts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home