Thursday, November 10, 2005

Summer of '75

Stuff we did in Montana with our cousins and their friends from the rez:

- swam in irrigation canals

- rode horseback all over creation. They had a horse named Hawkeye who reportedly was in the movie Little Big Man, with Dustin Hoffman. (By all accounts, he nailed his part…)

- walked down to the roadside stand to buy cokes, candy, and fireworks

- learned not to wipe the can when sharing cokes (if you’re really bored, see spit and polish)

- lit firecrackers

- broke firecrackers in half to create spark shooters with which we terrorized unlucky crickets and grasshoppers

- blew up anthills and watched them swarm out looking for something to attack

- put red ants in with black ants (and vice versa) to watch them fight

- tried to smoke a cigarette (Roxanne & I). We were temporarily out of matches and couldn’t get it lit using just punk*, so we never inhaled.

- learned to rope

- pretended to give sermons from the pulpit of the tiny neighborhood church, which was open and empty during the week

- explored the junkyard, sitting in old cars with broken windshields and pretending we were old enough to drive

- watched the cows urinate and defecate (while at first glance this may not seem attractive, it’s actually pretty impressive if you’re 10 yrs old and have never seen it up close before)

- lit fires (Roxanne’s little sister Michelle and I). We stole matches from the kitchen and lit dozens of little fires in the fields. We were very careful, always making sure we had an area of bare dirt between our fires and the surrounding vegetation, but try telling the adults that. When Roxanne told on us, we both ended up writing “I will not play with matches” 500 times, plus Michelle got a spanking. Not sure how I got left out of the spanking part, but I didn’t ask too many questions about it at the time…

- enjoyed ourselves immensely



*slow-burning brown stick used for lighting fireworks

7 Comments:

At Fri Nov 11, 12:37:00 AM PST, Blogger jay are said...

oh to be young (and mostly stupid) again. ya had all the markings of a pyro in the making....hmmm?

not many cooler things than memories of long-ago summers. and don't they just get sweeter and sweeter...

 
At Fri Nov 11, 02:36:00 PM PST, Blogger Blogball said...

If I would have known that these carefree summertime childhood days were going to be some of the best days of my life I would have appreciated them more at the time.

 
At Tue Jun 22, 09:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Metalbiz said...

Really very happy to say, your post is very interesting to read. One option that should definitely be considered is cash for cars near me, as they provide a free car removal service. Firstly, if you own an unwanted car sitting in your driveway, damaged beyond repair, or otherwise just in bad condition, you could really benefit from a cash for cars Gold Coast removal service. They provide a free, no-obligation, professional service to help you get rid of your unwanted car.
cash for scrap cars gold coast
cash for cars Brisbane

 
At Wed Jun 23, 06:44:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for cars sydney
cash for unwanted cars melbourne

 
At Wed Jun 23, 07:08:00 PM PDT, Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
cash for cars mackay
cash for cars rockhampton

 
At Wed Jun 23, 07:29:00 PM PDT, Blogger Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
cash for cars rocklea
cash for scrap metal

 
At Thu Jul 15, 10:27:00 PM PDT, Blogger jackey said...

Hi Thanks for posting this! We would love to welcome you at Cars buyer, the only place where you can get top cash for cars.

cash for car
cash for cars Brisbane
cash for car Brisbane
free car removal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home