Saturday, November 26, 2005

Slow news day

Hope everyone had a nice Thxgvg. Lots to be thankful for, for sure.

Hannah made turkey dinner at her new place -- the kids & I brought pies & whipped cream & drinks. A couple of Hannah's girlfriends came, too, and brought stuff. One of them is recently divorced also, and her ex-husband came too...

A great meal was had, after which much lethargic sitting around took place.

On Friday Samantha wanted to sleep in, but David & I went snowboarding. First time for both of us, fell down a lot, eventually started getting the hang of it. I took out a teenage girl who made the unfortunately choice of stopping on the same hill where I was going to be boarding (what was she thinking?) but it was a low-speed-low-impact collision and she wasn't hurt, just embarrassed, and zoomed away quickly.

I have no doubt David will soon surpass me in skill, but yesterday I actually caught on a little more quickly than he did -- maybe because I've skiied and ice-skated before? -- so I got down the mtn a lot more easily than he did and spent a lot of time waiting for him. Once while waiting near the lift line, I asked a kid (16 or so) if he had any pointers for me; he looked at my face and said "It's a little late to be learning now, isn't it?" So I beat him into the snow with my board. (No, I didn't.)

Today D and I are pretty sore, but I did play hockey for a couple of hours this afternoon which loosens the muscles up. I'll miss this Tuesday's game (back to Texas early AM Monday) so I had to get my fix today...

Then I went to Target and bought wastebaskets and stuff that I need after splitting our household goods into two households (did you know everywastebasket except the cheapest plastic kind costs $19.99? It's robbery, I tell you!) Hannah still hasn't finished taking all the stuff she wants, but it' 90% done, anyway. So far things are as cordial as one could hope for in a difficult situation, so that's a big thing to be thankful for, and here's hoping it continues.

Anyway, that's the news from Lake Washington, where the women are strong, the men are sore from snowboarding, and all the children are above average...

4 Comments:

At Sat Nov 26, 11:05:00 PM PST, Blogger jay are said...

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving, all things considered. But I can't believe an old guy like you would try snowboarding at this point in life. Geez.

 
At Sun Nov 27, 02:42:00 PM PST, Blogger Rob said...

Yeah, yeah -- old, schmold. You're only as old as you feel, that's what they say, right?

I also heard "You're only as old as the woman you feel..." but I present that here purely as an example of what NOT to be like.

So, yeah, anway, how about them Seahawks, eh?

abegbzk!

 
At Sun Nov 27, 10:43:00 PM PST, Blogger jay are said...

right then. examples of what you're not doing. right, heh. about them seahawks.
well, whatever works. whatever makes a young man's thoughts turn toward....spring?
or bjcytdft. whatever keeps you young.

 
At Mon Nov 28, 04:22:00 AM PST, Blogger Stephanie said...

You haven't heard? 40 is the new 30. If you were down here in Los Angeles you'd simply be yet another guy having a perpetual adolescence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home