Thursday, November 24, 2005

The acid test

When I was about 10, I started a battery collection. I had dozens of sizes and types, and I kept them in an armadillo shell that had been made into a basket. Which is irrelevant, but at the time was cool.

Eventually several of the batteries burst open and leaked acid all over the entire collection. I had to throw away all the batteries and the armadillo, too.

A year or two later, I saw my friend Jim at church. He showed me a couple of silver-and-green batteries of a type I'd never seen before. I admired them, then said, "Those are cool. I used to have a battery collection, didja know that?"

He gave me a funny look. I handed the batteries back, and went on my way. Several hours later, I realized that
a) I had shown my original collection to Jim.
b) He still remembered my collection, and as far as he knew was actively helping me with it.
c) He had saved the silver-and-green batteries especially for my collection.

This story has no point other than "Oops. Duh."

2 Comments:

At Sat Nov 26, 05:03:00 PM PST, Blogger unca said...

The Brits call this "dropping a brick." There's a pretty good book by Robert Morley, titled, "Robert Morley's Book of Bricks." It's a collection of this kind of thing (much more extreme than your post) as submitted by various famous people. It's pretty entertaining. My favorite has to do with someone who saw Princess Margaret "out of context" and forgot who she was but had the vague idea she had a sister. He asked, "How's your sister?" the reply: "Fine, still queen."

 
At Sat Nov 26, 11:07:00 PM PST, Blogger jay are said...

Is it "dropping a brick" because you feel as dumb as a brick?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home