Saturday, February 12, 2005

school for the gifted

I may have mentioned that my dad taught me to read when I was 4 yrs old. I was ready, and enthusiastic, and I read everything I could get my hands on from then on. I was always way ahead of grade level in reading speed/comprehension, etc.
From this my teachers got the idea that I was really bright, and a couple of times I was among those selected for special testing, etc. This is what I remember:

Kindergarten: the tester held up two pieces of clay and informed us that they weighed the same amount. Then he squished one into a different shape and asked us if we thought they still weighed the same, or if their weights were now different.
I hadn't a clue. I was open to the idea that maybe weight was connected to shape, and since everyone else was saying that they must still weigh the same, I decided to answer that they now weighed different. The tester gave me a funny look.

Grade 2: The tester gave me a piece of paper on which was drawn the outline of a closed-in area with a single entrance. She said "Imagine this is a field where you have lost your wallet. Draw a line with the pencil to show where you would walk to find it." I'm pretty sure the point was for me to demonstrate a thoughtful, ordered path. But I just figured you'd need to cover that field pretty thoroughly, so I coloured the whole area in, showing a path only a demented ADD sufferer would walk.

After I performed so well on the field test, the tester tried to explain binary notation to me (I was six or seven). She said "If I establish a pattern that looks like this:
0
1
10
11
100
101
what would the next number look like?
I didn't have a clue what she was talking about. I guessed wildly, proposing random strings of 1's and 0's. My intelligence level did not appear to overwhelm her. It wasn't until almost 10 yrs later, when I saw binary notation again in high school, that I understood what she was on about.

That's basically what I remember of special testing: three questions, all of which I flunked dramatically. But I'm confident I could do much better now...

2 Comments:

At Mon Feb 14, 09:10:00 AM PST, Blogger Erik said...

I'm surprised they didn't hold you back, after *that* atrocious performance. You should've offered to read really fast for the testers or something...

 
At Mon Feb 14, 04:41:00 PM PST, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

What I find fascinating and amazing is that you REMEMBER every detail of these events. Given that you've never forgotten a single line from any movie you've ever watched, though, I guess I shouldn't find it so amazing. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home