Monday, September 15, 2008

some stuff





1) Above is some pretty stuff I saw while hiking this weekend near Mt. Ranier.
2) Also, someone I know who was very young just died, so it's sad and also reminds me that it's excellent to be alive.
3) Given #2 above, this scarcely merits mention, but:
Parent night this week at the community college where Sam has just enrolled.
As I'm leaving I realize my laptop's system clock had somehow become retarded by about 35 minutes, so I was going to miss the first 1/2 hr of the 90-minute presentation.
Then I was talking to David on my cell (hands-free, of course) and missed my exit. If you miss that exit, you have to drive approximately to Canada before you can backtrack. Which I did, in rush-hour traffic. At this point, I have missed 55 minutes.
I make it all the way back to where I need to be, whereupon I miss a *different* turn, because there used to be two entrances to the college, and now there's only one. And I am back *exactly* where I was when I had just missed the first exit 25 minutes ago.
I said many bad words, but none of them teleported me to the Bellevue Community College parking lot.
At the prospect of missing 80 minutes of a 90-minute deal, I went to Wendy's instead and ate a spicy chicken sandwich. It was kind of overcooked, but it still made me feel better.
If I had a Garmin or a TomTom, that computer-lady-voice would have told me Turn right in 50 feet... or whatever, but I don't have one yet. I blame society.

4 Comments:

At Mon Sep 15, 02:01:00 PM PDT, Blogger jay are said...

It wasn't even me and I wasn't even there, but I'M just mad about all those missed turns and all that wasted time. Those kinds of things made me more mad than almost anything because of the TIME wasted. All the things you could've been doing instead if you weren't going to make it anyway. Well, obviously, the only solution is to let it go and/or eat a spicy chicken sandwich. Thank goodness there are tasty solutions sometimes.

 
At Mon Sep 15, 05:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

yes, i would also blame society for your lack of garmin/tom-tom. glad spicy chicken sandwich helped -- i've never tried one but since you've talked about these, like, forever on your blog, i might have to have one someday.

if you don't have a gps by the next time you're in town, i'll go with you to buy one, okay? hopefully we won't get lost or anything on the way... ;-)

 
At Tue Sep 16, 05:01:00 PM PDT, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

It's weird, my unborn baby loves Crispy Chicken Sandwiches from Wendy's. I force them down because I'm an unselfish mother.

 
At Tue Sep 16, 09:24:00 PM PDT, Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

It is nice to be alive...those lovely pictures are part of the reason...sorry about the frustrating trip NOT to make it to the college...bummer! I am like Jay are...feeling all the frustration you must have felt...
see if you were a good self respecting girl...you could just burst into tears...the sandwich was a better idea...lol...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home