Sunday, August 03, 2008

all about me, august 2008

lemme see, went to CO for family reunion, NJ for business, DC to see family, TX for business.

came back, did a tiny deck project with a friend in seattle, then went camping for the weekend.

tonight i got to go to a bday party with traditional russian food, not to mention friends, drinking, toasts, singing, etc -- much fun had by all.

on friday i had an epiphanal moment: on the way back from my friend's house in south seattle, i got lost. for over an hour. i tried to cut around traffic and ended up nowhere near where i wanted to be. and it took me 70 minutes to get to somewhere that enabled me to find my way home. total travel time for what should have been a 35 minute trip: 1:45.

i asked for directions 4 times, and got good ones only once ("I-90 is back that way!" shouted the young men with do-rags and gold teeth. they were right.) and yes, i probably shouldn't have asked directions from the two 300-yr-old men with bottles in their jackets at mid-day who probably haven't owned a car in 10 yrs. my bad on that one. but the goth girl and the ethiopian shopkeeper seemed like they knew what they were talking about -- too bad they were talking about streets that apparently only exist in their minds...

news flash: i have no sense of direction. i suck at puzzles involving spatial concepts (if you wrapped this polyhedron in paper, then removed the paper and spread it out, which shape would you have? i don't know -- that effed-up-looking one, i bet....)

if i walk into a building and take one turn, i immediately lose all idea what direction the entrance is in; if i get into and out of an elevator, the act of turning around 180 degrees wipes my brain clean of all directional references.

when driving, the only way for me to remember N/S/E/W is to visualize in which direction I might find Canada/Mexico/The Pacific Ocean/Pennsylvania. (No, I don't know why Pennsylvania -- that just represents East to me...)

i would make the world's worst spy.

so my epiphany is this: there is no excuse for me not to have a GPS. they apparently cost less than $300 now. if you added up the value of the time i've wasted driving aimlessly hoping to run into something familiar, you could more than pay for a GPS.

you don't see paraplegic people dragging themselves along the sidewalk because they're too proud to buy a wheelchair, do you? no, i didn't think so. i rest my case.

so: anyone got a recommendation on a GPS? i'm thinking a Garmin...

9 Comments:

At Mon Aug 04, 09:29:00 AM PDT, Blogger The Engers said...

Preb got a tom tom from best buy that he's really happy with for just over a 100. works great and you can even change the voices to different nationalities, such as british, ausie, even other languages! haha..(norwegian) :)

 
At Mon Aug 04, 01:49:00 PM PDT, Blogger jay are said...

Garmin nuvi. It's the greatest thing ever.

 
At Mon Aug 04, 03:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger si said...

used a garmin -- thought it was great! it wasn't even the most high-end. i think they have hand-held ones (to help *within* a bldg maybe!).

i'm so glad you've had this revelation (it's been a long time coming, i'd say...)! hey, you won't even need me anymore to give you on-the-fly directions when you come to work here! i'm not sure how i feel about that... :-)

 
At Mon Aug 04, 08:59:00 PM PDT, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I just bought a Tom Tom and love it. I had a Garmin StreetPilot but the price of updated maps infuriated me.

 
At Tue Aug 05, 02:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger fmk said...

I got a Garmin Streetpilot C550.
Amazon had better prices than local places. I used it to visit you in Exton.

 
At Tue Aug 05, 09:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger bfoxy37 said...

My dad brought his Garmin along a couple of weeks ago while driving from Iowa to Pittsburgh. We got lost (my fault) but after trying to use his garmin we got out the trusty old map and found our way using it. I guess if he would have downloaded everything before hand then it might have helped...

 
At Wed Aug 06, 06:17:00 PM PDT, Blogger unca said...

Yes. Sadly, not even a garmin gps can help someone severely directionally challenged. I once got lost in a train (think about how pathetic that is).

 
At Wed Aug 06, 07:36:00 PM PDT, Blogger Blogball said...

OK I’m blood related to many of the above. I’m not saying we all have the disease but I just came back from Las Vegas and had to drive to 4 different hotels and park and remembered where I parked and made it back home alive and I’m not divorced. There were many wrong turns etc. etc. but this was a moral victory for me.

I often said that if I was a whale I would be the one that beached itself and would have to have a bunch of humans turning me and pointing me to the direction of the ocean.

 
At Fri Aug 15, 09:39:00 AM PDT, Blogger alleykat said...

well,here in Norway my dad has a really cool tomtom, my mom says it's saved their marriage. And preben and ellen, he has it set to speak...english! hahahahah ahahhhhhhh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home