Friday, November 09, 2007

my hero

Duane Chapman (aka Dog the bounty hunter) is in trouble for using the N-word and telling his son that he had to break up with his (black) girlfriend if he wanted to work for Dog or be welcome at home.

From portions of a phone call being played on the news (which apparently his son recorded and sold to the National Enquirer), Dog appears to want his son to break up with his girlfriend because she’s black. But if you listen to the whole thing, he’s actually just says “We sometimes use the N-word around here. I don’t want some F-ing N-word to wreck our show because she hears us say 'N-word' and sells that info to the National Enquirer.”

Aaaaahhh. So it’s not that she’s black at all. It’s just that she’s black and she may hear Dog’s family using the N-word. So that’s okay then.
Dog further explains his use of the N-word by saying that he *doesn’t* mean “you soul-less N-word”, he just means… something else, I’m not sure what.

In a bit of cognitive dissonance, Dog’s lawyer said “I’ve known Duane for 7 years; I’ve never seen anything that suggests that he judges people by the color of their skin or their racial background or anything but on their character.”
Oh, I see. Other than that phone call, you mean…

3 Comments:

At Fri Nov 09, 03:53:00 PM PST, Blogger Blogball said...

I hardly knew of this guy but I guess he has (or used to have) the highest rated show on A&E which is not saying too much for that station. Now I can’t watch anything without seeing him on some show apologizing for using the N word. I recently saw him on a show with his pastor who happens to be black. His pastor was actually sticking up for him. I heard Chapman say he thought that he was cool enough in the black world to be able to use that word brother to a brother. I guess that means if you use that word around your black friends and they don’t get mad at you then that means your are one cool dude. What kind of mind set is that? Given the history of the word and all the different ways it’s being used and perceived today it is a very explosive topic and it’s not going away until we all have an honest dialog with one another without walking on eggshells or worrying about being politically correct.

 
At Fri Nov 09, 05:41:00 PM PST, Blogger unca said...

I understand that Duane Chapman and Michael Richards are starting a support group.

 
At Wed Nov 14, 10:01:00 AM PST, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

This is charming. I'm glad he at least has to apologize a lot for his comments, even if he will continue to be a popular figure and not lose any money. In the old days no one would even care...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home