Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Much ado about nothing

Driving away my client’s office last night, a woman is lying on the sidewalk. Turns out she had just lost her balance and fallen flat on her face -- her nose was clearly broken she was dripping blood everywhere.

I said, “Man, tough break” and left. I hope she was okay.

Just kidding. I got her a towel and washed her bloody hands for her and helped her call her husband and waited till the paramedics got there, then I left. But you believed me for second, didn’t you…

While I was squatting there with her cell phone in one hand and mine in the other, I said “Hey, we have the same phone” which I think probably qualifies as the stupidest thing I’ve said all week. She said “Mmm”, which is a lot more than I would have been able to manage if bleeding from the nose and mouth and some moron wants to yammer on about cell phones.

***
In other news, I played my first game with a new hockey team last night. You always want to make a good impression your first time out – no falling into the net, for example, or scoring on your own goalie, etc.

As it turns out I played decent, and scored a goal in the third period by batting the puck out of the air into the net, which is always impressive even when it’s three quarters luck.

The team seems to be a great bunch of guys – a bit earthy*, but then this is hockey…

*“Where’s Doug tonight?”
“He went to Montana.”
“Oh, that’s right. He’s up there with his velcro gloves on, chasing sheep.”
And downhill from there… 

***
Today as I waited at the counter to order the lunch special, a guy returned his glass of Coke – apparently he didn’t want it, or it was extra or something.
My lunch special came with a soda too, but after I paid, instead of asking me what kind I wanted the woman taking my order just handed me the glass the guy had just returned.
Bryan: I think this is for that other guy.
Woman: No, he already have soda. This one for you.
Bryan: Could I just have water please?
Woman [shrugging]: Okay.

This is where Bryan struggles to resist being seduced by stereotypes. This woman’s culture is famous in some circles for its thriftiness. In fact, it’s mostly other members of the culture that Bryan has heard poking good-natured fun at themselves and each other for being, well, extremely cheap.
Not sure what the point is except that it was really hard not to laugh at this woman chucking customer service out the window in order to save about eleven cents' worth of ice and soda...

3 Comments:

At Wed Oct 10, 11:17:00 PM PDT, Blogger jay aitch said...

I didn't think for a SPLIT SECOND that you really left that poor woman on the sidewalk and walked away. I know how kind you and your relatives are!!!!

 
At Thu Oct 11, 05:51:00 PM PDT, Blogger Blogball said...

Loved when you said “Hey, we have the same phone” LOL !


Kind of reminds me of Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

 
At Fri Oct 12, 08:28:00 AM PDT, Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I did wonder for a moment if you had lost your mind. Glad you could bond over phones, though. That's always a good starting point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home